Using Oppo 205 instead of per amp processor

Anyone using their Oppo 205 as a pre amp processor? if so, what are the pros and cons? I am looking into replacing my NAD 758 receiver with separates for my HT and secondary system. I'm thinking i can save myself some money by purchasing the Oppo instead of a pre amp processor but, not sure if the Oppo was designed to be used like that without issue. I know the Oppo doesn't have room correction and was told by magnolia, the volume control is fixed only no variable? Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have one on display to audition. Any feed back is much appreciated. My current set up: Primaluna HP integrated, Sony HAP1ZES, Cambridge BD 752 player, Klispch Heresy 111 70th anniversary edition speakers, cables Tellurium Q ultra black SC and jumpers, FMS microwave IC's, and a Wadi 171i transport that i use with my iphone/ipad.

Thanks
Brian
brian27b
willemj
He wouldn’t be the only inarticulate poster here (although I sometimes rather enjoy his posts). There are times when I think some here do not only know nothing about science, but know no grammar either. A little bit of extra effort goes a long way.

>>>We all know know no grammar is a no no, no?

I may be a scientific dotard, but I thinks I gots me some mad grammar skills.

Tim
TIM, Thank you for the kind words about my system and the video my daughter made, she used a HQ external digital audio recorder with fixed stereo mics (no wonder..right). I have a few different systems in my family, and one of them is a Aurender XL100 (6tb) music server connected via USB 2.0 to a OPPO BDP105 through a complete McIntosh stereo system. So, yes I do love analogue, but I know great digital as well. I used a Mac CD player (these were made to drive amps directly)  direct via XLR’s to drive my amp for a number of years before I switched back to vinyl. One thing I will say is that I know what sounds great and what dosent and I was just trying to point out how much a proper pre amp will effect the sound of the system and in many cases can inject a real beauty and warmth that many of these digital systems need.

Matt M                            
Hi Matt,

Tell your daughter she did an excellent job on that video.  I was listening via some good headphones through a JDS Labs DAC and a class A headphone amp and I was actually stunned by the quality of the audio and the video was also quite good.  I don't know how old she is, but she's obviously very good at this stuff.  I wish she was the recording engineer on some of my favorite musical tracks.  Well done! 

"One thing I will say is that I know what sounds great and what doesn't and I was just trying to point out how much a proper preamp will affect the sound of the system and in many cases can inject a real beauty and warmth that many of these digital systems need. "

I completely agree with your comment.  I have no doubt a good quality active preamp 'injects a real beauty and warmth that many of these digital systems need'  because I experienced exactly what you describe in my own system using my former VTL 2.5L preamp with NOS Mullard tubes.       I really enjoyed the qualities that this preamp imparted on my system for over 5 years and truly thought the VTL would be the last component I'd ever be removing from my system. 
     But I realized my system was becoming overly complex with 2 preamps; the VTL  for 2-channel music and with a flip of the HT Pass Thru lever a Parasound AV-2500 preamp/processor for ht surround. 
     I had this complexity along with the operational and hookup complexities in mind when the idea of streamlining my system, by removing both components and all the associated interconnect cables, and just using the Oppo 105 as a preamp/processor instead first struck me.     
     Before I compared system performance of each configuration,  I knew I was heavily biased toward keeping the VTL not only because I thought my system would sound better with it, but also because I had recently bought and installed an expensive set of 4 replacement NOS tubes. 
     As soon as I decided music on my system sounded just as sweet, dimensional, textured and beautiful using my Oppo 105 as the sole preamp and reported on my findings,  I realized many who hadn't heard the comparison first hand would question my decision. 

"The variable volume is for driving a pair of headphones you plug into the 1/4 inch jack. That's why Oppo put it there, period."

The volume control for the BDP-105 is, as previously stated, selectable as either fixed or variable.  But it's used both for the analog and headphone outputs and actually controls volume inside the 32-bit ESS DACs themselves. It has plenty of dynamic range to preserve all 16 -24 bits of data. 
    I think it's very encouraging and impressive that you're able to achieve system sounds you enjoy through both vinyl and digital based systems. 
Thanks, 
  Tim

An Oppo 105 or 205 is indeed a perfect preamplifier - you do not need an extra pre amp in the chain. All it will do is potentially degrade the sound (and cost you money that could be spent better elsewhere).