Using Oppo 205 instead of per amp processor

Anyone using their Oppo 205 as a pre amp processor? if so, what are the pros and cons? I am looking into replacing my NAD 758 receiver with separates for my HT and secondary system. I'm thinking i can save myself some money by purchasing the Oppo instead of a pre amp processor but, not sure if the Oppo was designed to be used like that without issue. I know the Oppo doesn't have room correction and was told by magnolia, the volume control is fixed only no variable? Unfortunately, no dealers in my area have one on display to audition. Any feed back is much appreciated. My current set up: Primaluna HP integrated, Sony HAP1ZES, Cambridge BD 752 player, Klispch Heresy 111 70th anniversary edition speakers, cables Tellurium Q ultra black SC and jumpers, FMS microwave IC's, and a Wadi 171i transport that i use with my iphone/ipad.

Thanks
Brian
brian27b

" Thank you all for your help and opinions and Tim, appreciate the detail breakdown on how you use your Oppo. Now i have to choose a multi channel amp and figure out how i would connect my Sony HAP1ZES."

Hi Brian,

I guess that means you've decided to buy an Oppo 205?
     What amplifiers to use could probably be a separate thread but I'm okay with offering some suggestions if you don't want to start another thread.
     Either of the Parasound class AB multi-channel amps you mentioned (A51 andAa52 plus)  earlier would work well and easily drive your very efficient Klipsch Heresy speakers. 
     Having owned a pair of the original Klipsch Heresy speakers when I was in college, I know the A52 plus with 125 watts/ch into 8 ohms is more than enough power to drive your speakers to ear-splitting levels. I think any of the Parasounds will provide very good clean power that has a smooth mid-range and treble but may leave you wanting a bit better bass response.
     I  can give you alternative amp solutions but would like some more information from you before I do so to better tailor them to your preferences and needs. Please answer these questions:

1. What's your room size?
2. What's your budget?
3. What type of home theater setup do you want? 5.1, 7.1? Atmos? Sub(s)?
4. Do you have any size, weight or heat constraints for the amp location?
5. Are you set only a single multi-channel amp for all channels or are you open to some combination of amps to cover all channels? 

Thanks,
  Tim

Hi Tim,,

I have decided to buy the Oppo 205. It offers a lot for the money. Based on everything i've read from users, i don't think i will be disappointed with sound quality. I am still not sure how i am going to connect my Sony HAP1ZES whitout having a preamp, any thoughts? Here are my answers to your questions. Appreciate the feedback Tim.

1. Room size 11x15
2. Budget is $4500.00 to $5000.00
3.Type of HT set up is 5.1 only no Atmos & 1 sub 
4. Size and weight, i do have some constraints. I have a Billy Bags AV rack that i have had for years and the bottom shelf is 9 inch's high, so i am somewhat limited
5. I am leaning towards a single multi channel amp to cover all channels but, open to options. My budget is limited to what i indicated.

Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian,

Excellent choice.  I think you'll love it. Do you have a 4K hdtv?

Can't you just hook-up both the Sony HAP1ZES and Oppo 205 via ethernet cables to your router?  Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the Sony. 

For a single chassis 5 channel amp, you can either go with a big heavy class AB type like the Parasounds or go with a much smaller, lighter class D or H amp. They're just as powerful as the class AB amps but use significantly less electricity to operate and run much cooler.

In my opinion, the class D amps I now use in my combo music and ht system equal or outperform my former class AB amps in every category I care about; better bass response, quieter, more dynamic, more detailed with a similar smooth and natural mid-range and treble.  They use so little electricity, in fact, that I just leave them on 24/7 so they're always warmed up.
     I decided to go with mono-block amps for my main l+r speakers and separate amps for my center and rear surrounds rather than a single 5 channel amp.  I did this mainly for the ease of making any possible amp changes I may want to make in the future.  You never know if an amazing new technology may be developed or you just get the urge to try something new or different. I paid a bit more overall but consider it worth it.  I thought you might appreciate this added flexibility.

If you prefer class AB and are okay with the less than optimum bass response noted by some reviewers, I think the Parasound A52 Plus is a  good choice. 
     If you want to try class D or H, they're often sold internet direct and offer free in-home trial periods.  Most offer mono-block, stereo and multi-channel models.  Here are some high quality companies/options:

1. http://www.d-sonic.net/products/stereo-amplifiers/

2. https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps

3. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745M27/NAD-Masters-Series-M27.html?tp=180&awkw=82787632105&awa... 

4. www.reddragonaudio.com/collections/amplifiers

All these would easily fit in your rack.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feed back. I do have a 4K HDTV. It is a Sony XBR 55 850C. The Sony HAP1ZES has line outs and needs to be connected to a preamp or amp. I did not know if there was alternative hook up that i was not aware of. The ethernet connection is for transfering music from a computer. I had a chance to briefly listen to the NAD M27. I thought it sounded pretty good but, need more time with it. My dealer carry's both NAD and Parasound, so i am going to compare Parasound A51 and the new A52 plus with the NAD M27. The other brands you recommeded i will look into too. I am familiar with DSoinc and Wyred4Sound but, not Red Dragon Audio. Thanks again.

Brian
Hey Brian,

If you're going to definitely buy the 205, I suggest you call Oppo Support at 650-961-1118 and ask them the best method to connect your  HAP1ZES to the 205 with the 205 acting as the preamp.
     Their product support is excellent; they really helped me out hooking up my NAS, laptop and JRiver software with the 105 for my computer audio setup.  Which, by the way, you could also setup with the 205 in the future if you'd like.  
     My guess is they'll suggest a usb connection between the two components but I'm not certain.

" My dealer carry's both NAD and Parasound, so i am going to compare Parasound A51 and the new A52 plus with the NAD M27."

That sounds ideal if they'll let you audition them in-home on your system.  Once you have the 205 and it's properly connected to the Sony, you'll be all set to compare the 3 amps.
     I think you'll discover that all 3 amps are very good performers.  In my experience with comparing the performance of good class AB and good class D amps, the most obvious differences I noticed were in the bass response, noise floor level and dynamic range.  I noticed other differences, such as detail levels and degree of neutrality, but these were not as obvious. 
    I'd also suggest playing your best engineered recordings  because a good recording will sound exceptionally good but a bad recording will definitely be noticed as such through a good class D amp.      
     Please keep us posted on your impressions.

Tim