Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
A couple owners have reached out to me privately on proper torquing of the VTA block.  So I thought it would be good to rehash the procedure here now. See the picture 35 on my virtual system for reference. 

lt is done with the VTA block - NOT - mounted. Hold in your hand and use the feeler gauge.

The Gap value is arbitrary based on personal preference. Ensure you do not over torque.

Bruce' instructions follow

Chris,

My first rule would be to use the short end of the Allen wrench as the lever for torquing any screws on the ET-2. The short lever arm will limit the applied torque.
    For the two bearing blocks that mesh the pinion to the rack in the arc block we first adjust the blocks so that they are parallel to the manifold housing with a .060 -.090 gap between the bearing block and the back adjacent surfaces on the manifold housing.
    The friction between the manifold housing and the arc block define the feel of the VTA mechanism lever action. We want this to offer some resistance, but not too much when a VTA adjustment is attempted. Turn the 4/40 x 3/4 bearing block screws so that some friction is encountered when adjusting VTA but not so much that the VTA mechanism locks up. We would not attempt this adjustment with the tonearm installed on a turntable.

The main failures we see with the arc blocks are:
  1.The threaded insert on back surface of the arc block is cracked due to over torquing of 8-32 stainless steel button head post mounting screw.
  2.The bearing blocks on either side of the arc block which support the pinion gear are over torqued which crushes the pinion into the rack and binds the mechanism, if a VTA change is attempted with over torqued bearing blocks the pinion turns and the rack does not move, stripping the teeth on the rack.

I hope the above helps

- brucet

No more arc blocks available?

"overtorqueing" YES! This is the main user issue, that was never addressed in the manual . Why?

^^^^

1) Someone over torques the VTA block bolts.

2) they continue to use VTA, even though something does not feel right.

3) this strips the rack of teeth, creating bald spots, rendering the VTA block useless.

4) Now there is a need to replace the VTA block.  

Please share with the readers here what Bruce' response is.

Well, curiosity killed the cat as they say. 

I have confirmed that if you send Bruce your original manifold he will replace your damaged

VTA Block including the VTA Arc Block.

The VTA blocks are on either side of the VTA arc block, the VTA arc
block is the part with the curved surface and rack, yes we put in the
new part (rack of teeth) for $300.00

-brucet

Note: The picture linked in the previous post is the result of a ..Type B Personality.....Madman.

This is my personal opinion.

It is an extreme case of abuse, and does not represent normal wear and tear.

I need to make this clear because I got emails asking such.
The real story here, IMO, is that even this kind of setup abuse can be resolved / fixed by Bruce due to the design of the ET2.

Cheers