First investment into a turntable

Hello friends,

As I slowly make my way into collecting some vintage audio components, its time to target a turntable. I have never owned a turntable worth mentioning, but I've collected hundreds of albums. Its time to give the vinyl the sonic justice it deserves. I know now more than ever that every component ever made can be reviewed subjectively. So let me profile my desires, so that you may be able to help me find 1 or maybe 2 turntables that can sit at the top of my growing system.
Currently, I own a Sansui G-6000 receiver. I would love to find a TT in the $200-300 range that would complement the receiver and produce beautiful sound. I am partial to vintage, but would mildly consider modern.
Thank you all in advance for your responses. This is an incredible resource of wonderful people.
Thank you,
Marty
martygto
The new AR belt-drive table re-introduced in the mid-eighties would be nice to find, if you can find one. Sam Tellig (Sam's Space in Stereophile) loved it and recommended it as a poor-man's LP-12. I bought one, loved it, kept it a decade. 
Great suggestion tomcarr, though I doubt one can be had for the op’s $200-$300 target price. I too had one, fitted with a Rega RB300. Replaced that with a VPI HW-19, a very different table.
Good point, bdp24. I have no doubt you love your VPI, I think they are VERY nice.
Tom, that HW-19 (original "Mk.1") was sold when I got a Townshend Audio Elite Rock table, which I still have. But I recently picked up another, later version 19, as well as an Aries. Now I have a table for each of my arms! 
I agree that the vintage HK or Pioneer turntables are a good way to get into vinyl at the OP's budget. 

My son has a HK 55 which serves him well. I have refurbished and passed on to his friends several Pioneer PL models.