Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
erik_squires OP3,082 posts01-29-2018 4:20amSorry George, as always, you are going to have to pivot from one point to another by yourself. If you need a dance partner it is not me.

Erik

That's a cop out Eric, your the one who said said: 
" Most Class D amps I know of do considerably better. I'm more than a little surprised PS Audio put that out there."

I ask again, Eric.
Please show JUST ONE Class-D, with a clean 1khz sine wave, without using the Audio Precision's auxiliary AUX-0025 passive low-pass low power filter.

Cheers George  
Darn. 
I did like jowever the hupex? Nycore amplifier.  That did sound better than others i have heard.  Not my cup of tea, but that one sounded descent. 
Poor George...he wants evidence from measurements vs. using his ears...

Both sunshine both, as it should be, can't have one without the other.

Cheers George
Hi.. I have been a Class A or Class A/B amp owner my entire adult life and trying to get a firm grasp on Class D amps. I have read through several threads and like many subjects this one is similarly polarizing. I'm not biased either way. Just seeking information and if I decide to change amps, getting the sound I'll enjoy.

It seems there are about 3 major players in companies that actually manufacture the amp boards, and that most people selling Class D amps are buying the boards versus designing and building their own (probably some exceptions). If I am correct this is very unlike most Class A and A/B amp manufacturers.

While I have never truly understood the prices attached to esoteric items, I do understand basic marketing and getting for a product what the market will pay. This may or may not be attached to the cost to produce said item.

So my question is with the main boards themselves being made by a thrid party, how does one go say from a $1400 D-Sonic amp to a $5000 Bel Canto (or other similar) amp (per pair) up to a Merrill Veritas at $11K plus (pair)? I realize a nicer chassis, etc. will add cost, and same for internal wiring and external connectors but am trying to see what each make ris adding to their product to result in so many price variations when the main "guts" are so similar. Thx