exceptional voices of female singers (non-classical)

What I'm talking about here is what critics of classical singing refer to as "the instrument": the exceptional beauty or uniqueness of the timbre of the voice qua voice.  For the moment, put aside preferences w.r.t. repertoire, interpretation, performance, style, delivery, etc., and just consider the *sound* of the voice.  We're *not* talking about favorite female artists here, because that kind of preference is based on a whole amalgam of factors.

I suspect some of the top figures in the category I've tried to define often aren't very popular among audiophiles, because of those many other factors.

My first three nominations: Barbra Streisand, Linda Ronstadt, Eva Cassidy.

128x128twoleftears
We all have our favorites based on so many reasons: technique, timbre, phrasing, type of music, tone, interpretation, etc. I believe there are cords that reach the human soul and vibrate sympathetically to our personal experiences, our physiological hearing, a message that is delivered . . . but it is a very personal experience; therefore, one may appreciate the strength and power of one voice, the sheer beauty of another . . . but they each fulfill some aspect of satisfaction in one's own soul that no one else can reach or satisfy. I will say one thing with regard to singers in general . . . what passes for talent today certainly in many, but not all case, fall short of the mark of dedication, working one's craft, and paying one's dues to achieve a status of respect, lasting reputation, and one that is totally unique in their own right without sounding like carbon copies of another. The aspect of instant success or being a “hit” or celebrity is given away much to easily and cheaply to many in my opinion . . . and their voices as well as their popular flare that burns hot for a short while soon cools to an ember and burns out to forgetfulness . . . therefore, time is still the test of quality and lasting endurance. I will also say this: for the few that make it into so-called stardom, there are thousands, even millions, who are never recognized for their talent or get the break they truly deserve . . . while many who get there, one has to scratch one's head as ask “WHY?”
Thanks for the tip, @chrisoshea! Did you notice Lisa Fletcher? She's another one of those 20 feet stars that stepped up front from background.
I love the Eva Cassidy album Live at Blues Alley and she can definitely sing in a variety of ways.  Dianne Reeves is a great jazz singer, and Dianne Schurr is another great singer.