Recommendations for 1000

I need better audio for my home. I am using my computer to play music with a sound blaster X-fi card with Optical out and in and every other basic output. It is hooked up to a projector and is often used for dvds. I'm uncertain whether i should get 5.1 or stay two channel. I have a budget of 1k and need speakers and a receiver or amp. I am willing to buy receiver and 2 speakers now and add later if I must. I need some recommendation. I was leaning towards 2 floor stand klipsch and their 12 inch subwoofer. Thanks.
cwaigy
Cwaigy:

Try www.partsexpress.com. You'll be able to purchase a wide variety of drivers, enclosures, and crossovers here. As far as this being a good idea or not, I would go in to this knowing it's a risk and that the speakers may not turn out to be the sound you need or want but it would be an excellent learning experience. Would this be your first time or attempt to build loudspeakers? I think it would be fun and again a great learning curve. Glad I could help out a fellow audio hobbyist. Let us know how they turn out if you do make a pair. All the best.
Can you also point me in the direction of a good brand, the only one on there I know is amazing is JBL; sadly that would be out of my price range. I have built some dinky speakers before that I'm currently using to hold me over until I find some nice speakers. Thanks.
need to know more about the room, listening habits, volume level, how many viewers/listeners, acoustics, etc, etc, etc.