How to properly put audio equipment on top of an antique buffet cabinet?

Dear,

My granddad recently had to move from his house to a retirement home and I acquired some paintings and an awesome antique buffet cabinet. It’s a sturdy handcrafted piece, but the top is not entirely massive wood. I use two MDF boards as a bridge to host my NAD M2 and M50. I’m curious to learn from your advice on how to improve this.

- The units were next to each other as you can see in the picture, I’m still experimenting. What would be best?
- Should I search a marble or granite stone slab to put underneath?
- Is there some small audio furniture that could be used?

Thanks upfront,
Koen
128x128koenvingerhoets
If you use the cork/rubber feet just cut a square washer out of felt or thin cardboard, to place between the rubber & wood top. If you use the larger feet you would not need a platform, just put them under the component feet as the larger size will distribute the weight over the top of the furniture.
Cork is not a good idea since it retains moisture. If you use felt, make sure it's synthetic with no wool or fur in it.

I generally won't put a heavy unit on an antique regardless. Best to have something that you won't worry about scratching or marking.
" Cork is not a good idea since it retains moisture."
Nonsense, those cork/rubber pads (I linked above) are used in the HVAC industry with heating and A/C units for vibration control, cork floats and does not absorb moisture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(material)
Personally, I would not recommend either marble or a granite stone slab.
Although marble would look good and is somewhat inexpensive it is a poor choice sonically. Marble would be a better choice, also look good, cost more but once again sonically weak.
I like the suggestions others have made and go with a 2" or 3" think piece of nicely finished maple supported off your beautiful antique buffet cabinet by a means that wn't damage the wood.
How to properly put audio equipment on top of an antique buffet cabinet?
You have an NAD M2 that still works? Nice!