A brutal review of the Wilson Maxx

I enjoy reading this fellow (Richard Hardesty)

http://www.audioperfectionist.com/PDF%20files/APJ_WD_21.pdf

g_m_c
Prior to reading this thread i recently contacted John Atkinson Editor of Sterophile Magazine about this vary article. I agree with much of what he says here ( see below) as many people Mr Hardesty included criticise products they have never even heard. I have not included my portions of the email due to space on the thread but my questions touched on the many favorable reviews of Wilson speakers of late and the romaticism many reveiwers are applying to Wilsons products. Keep in mind folks Wilson speakers are built to a very high standard, even though they modify Focals drivers in house these are still outsourced drivers and add extra production cost to there products that are passed on to you. Have you all ever considered that Maybe just Maybe Wilson speakers cost so much more than there competitors not because they are light years better than the competition but because there in house overhead and production cost is so much higher than ( Focal Jm Labs ) and (B&W) as these two company's have much larger distribution and R&D capabilites in plain english they produce there own drivers and sell them to other manufactures at a profit.

>Mr. Atkinson, I ran across this article regarding Wilson Audio speakers, which raised some excellent questions regarding the integrity of reviewer’s findings when Wilson products are reviewed.<

Thank you for contacting me about this matter. I was aware of Richard Hardesty’s criticisms. However, he fails to mention what I certainly feel to be an important point: that he has never auditioned the Wilson speakers under familiar circumstances. By contrast, both Michael Fremer and I have done so. I did mention the midrange coloration in my section of the review, as well as the fact that it was less obtrusive than I have expected. I also found the Wilson’s presentation of low frequencies to be the best I have experienced in Michael Fremer’s room.

I am puzzled by Mr. Hardesty’s comments about the Wilson midrange units being really “woofers.” I suspect this is sophistry. Also, Mr. Hardesty makes no reference to the fact that the Wilson’s have very low disrotion, which translates into a very wide dynamic range.

Thanks for writing with your concerns.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I'd certainly like to be able to hear every speaker of consideration in my home but the best I can do is go to stores, go to CES or the like, occasionally demo at friends homes, and of course read articles of interest.

It is important to me to have some basic data including frequency responses in an anechoic chamber tested environment for the reasons described in several of the above posts. It is NOT the only determinant, but it allows one basis of comparison. I do measure as best as I can in my own home for a variety of reasons after I purchase.

I'd like to see that done for the Wilson speakers as well as part of any review article. Its pretty basic. Why not include the info? perhaps the tests have in fact been done! I did think Mr Hardesty's article was hostile in tone but did raise some good points as well.
Ah, that word "sophistry" again. Philospher, Brit for sophomore, just what thought is trying to be conveyed by the use of this word. I never thought I would come to be so aware of the abiguity of this word till this thread.
Richard has auditioned the speakers in familiar surroundings. He is one of Brook Berdan's best friends and has speant time with the speakers.
Bigtee, I agree.

As most of us did, I purchased on sonics alone. I don't entertain, I have a large dedicated room designed by Rives that only myself and my 6 and 8 year old girls see. Finish and aesthetics are decidedly secondary to the point of inconsequence. I respect and admire Richard Vandersteen and the 5a's, They are great speakers. want more?

Mr Hyde-----

OK, I admit to being a superficial schmuck, driven by gloss and appearance. I paid a premium for speakers merely because they looked cool and stood tall, and my surfer bud's respect me better --and the gals, well, they fall over at the sight of my monolithic Wilsons--It's all in the name, dude.

Although the sound is terrible, it gives me an excuse to post in audio threads, arguing with people that post opinion with no direct experience, crapping on products they know little to nothing about.

peace.

:-) just for fun