Best Integrated, period.

Has anyone compared, Gryphon Diablo, Gamut Di150, Vitus SS101, Krell FBI, APL UA-S1 Jeff Rowland Continuum 500? Please add what you found to be best integrated.
perrew
Kiwi_1282001,

What was the hybrid amplification you refer to in your review that you were comparing the Rowland unit to with the MBLs?
Keep in mind that Kiwi's review was with the MBLs. I think that the Continuum is best matched with dynamic speakers (like Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Fabre, Wilson, Dali, etc.) that can use the power and control of this type amp.

I don't know enough about the MBLs to say what amps make them work and what doesn't, but I've heard them sound very different in different setups.

In my system, the Continuum 500 is very musical and emotionally involving when driven by either my Playback Designs MPS-5 or my TT. Rhythm and pace are astounding. This makes me suspect that the MBL is a bad match for the Continuum. With more "normal" speakers you're not going to have issues of emotion, musicality, rhythm or pace.

Dave
Tvad, you make a good point of speaker match, however Im not impossible to convince. I have found that most stand mounts are not easy to drive. Im choosing among a couple of stand mount loudspeakers, the list includes SF Guarneri Memento, MBL 121,Magico MiniII(although a bit pricey), SP Tech Timepiece mini, maybe there are others that Im not familiar with. Kiwi writes, "Continuum amp whilst delivering amazing vocal articulation did not capture the 'body' of the vocal. There was if you like a fantastic high resolution outline to vocals but no real ‘density’ to them."
I had a similar experience with my Spectron MIIISE.
For the Continuum I think with all its power the hard to drive MBLs is one of the speakers you think it would be good for.
I own the Gryphon Diablo for the past 2 years, and all I can is that it is an excellent amp that Im completely satisfied with! It beats a lot of separates even more expensive ones.
Perrew, I'm worried that if you tried Spectron with MBLs and didn't find it involving then the Rowland will be only a little better. For most dynamic speakers I'd recommend the Continuum 500, but with MBLs I'm not so sure. I've never heard that combination, but Kiwi and now you report something missing with a couple of amps that I consider more alike than different.

With the Guarneri Memento and Magicos (Rowland uses Magico in his own set up) I'd expect a very happy result. I don't know the SP Tech at all.

If you can afford the cost and are willing to wait just a little, the new Vienna Acoustic The Music speakers have incredibly stunning midrange. Their proprietary 5" midrange driver covers frequencies from 100Hz to 20kHz with no crossover in that critical range. The absence of intermodulation distortion is stunning and the mids are stunning. In 2009 the line will include more choices, using that driver.

So, I'm thinking that the MBLs need something in addition to power to sound their best. As you no doubt know, they're very room critical, way more so than any other speaker that you've mentioned.

Dave