New or used cartridge

I have have good experiences buying a previously owned cart in the past, but have heard several telling me to buy new..  I wish there was a way, to tell how many hours was on a used cart.  Other than putting the cantilever under a microscope,  I see no way concerning the hours/use/condition of a used cart..  I kinda look at it as buying a used car.  Let someone else take the initial "hit". then buy from them, as they're moving over or up.  I have an excellent Koetsu Urushi Black I'm going to put up for sale.  I love it's sound, but am wanting to move up the ladder so to speak.
Please give me opinions concerning this.
handymann
Yes, Lundahls though K&K are a great deal (plus very small fee an assembled box); in my system I prefer the Sky to the copper LL1931, but I would absolutely love to hear the silver-wired LL1931Ag or LL1933Ag (or their higher gain versions) sometime. The LL1931 is certainly a great value for the money. Very transparent, airy, and detailed; a refined and grainless sound with an awesomely huge soundstage. The Skys give up a little on those things, but in return supply more body, warmth, and bass impact. I wonder how much of that sonic difference is attributed to the amorphous core (i.e. would the laminated metal core LL1933 sound closer to the Sky?). In my opinion the Sky makes the Koetsu sound even more "Koetsu", but it’s valid that some would like to take it in the other direction. The Skys are also slightly smoother and more refined than the older 1131 CineMag.

I agree that acquiring a great SUT is a good investment that will never wear out.
@terry9
Dang man, unfortunately I’m on the opposite end here in Atlanta, and travel doesn’t agree with me. I’ve already come VERY close to blind ordering some of these silver-wired Lundhals before, and may end up doing so in the not-too-distant future. I guess if I were going to pick a horse right now, it would be the LL1943Ag, for the higher gain and traditional laminated core.

I already run & love pure silver for all my system cabling, and I’ve read that silver wiring in transformers makes an even bigger difference than it does for other wiring applications. Hence my strong interest in these LL's
I suggest that you talk to Kevin at K&K. He is highly expert and knows the Lundahl line inside out. After discussion, I changed my mind to order the 1931Ag's, and am very happy with the result. They are the best I've heard (not side-by-side, but still...) and that includes units many times their cost.
@handymann 
Sorry to veer off topic at various points. I can also report that I started out in Koetsu by buying used. I've gambled twice here on Audiogon with the purchase of used stone Plantinums (Onyx and Jade), both advertised in the ubiquitous "300ish hours" range, and was very satisfied with both results. Both sellers seemed to be enthusiasts, not dealers or high-volume cartridge flippers. That was several years ago, and I still have them now; I had the Onyx rebuilt last year.

Some people are adamant against used cartridge purposes, but it worked for me. Especially when you can get a full Koetsu rebuild for a reasonable cost. But I'd steer clear of the Soundsmith'd ones.