Bought the new Oppo DVD981HD player...

Last week I bought and installed the new Oppo DVD981HD that plays standard DVD's, DVD Audio, SACD and Vox. I'm running HDMI and optical to my AVR into a 55" Hitachi plasma screen. I'm very pleased with the results, better PQ and better audio than I had been experiencing with Sony DVD player.

I recommend this unit.
128x128dawgbyte
Okay....... this is a $230 player that does everything. Assembled a lower end system for a friend using the Oppo 981 for both DVD and 2 channel. Inserted upgraded Assemblage 2.0 DAC and must say that it is now respectable 2 channel for what it is. Completely opened up and softened midrange, extended and tightened bass. For a no- hassle one box not bad.
"Even my new Sony blu-ray does 2 channel better".

I was told the new blue-ray players would not play music CD's? Was I told wrong? If so, how is the CD playback quality of these machines.

This was one of the primary resons I was holding off.
How would the Oppo perform sonically for DVD Concerts where audio quality matter more than average movies? I am questioning whether to buy an Oppo with the RAM mods, so it will be more musically satisfying, or whether I should hold out for an Arcam DV137 or DV139?

There are rave reviews about the audio performance quality of a RAM Modded Oppo. But I have a hard time swallowing the idea of laying out those costs on such a light weight, otherwise inexpensive transport/package. I wonder if I'd ever recoup my investment if I wanted to sell a modded Oppo?

Would I be better served watching concert/music DVD's on a high end McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe, Denon 3930ci, Arcam DV139 or?
Groberts, I went with the Oppo 980H because it's supposed to be the best of their line for audio.

It has surpassed all expectations for both video and audio, but especially audio.

I figured SACD/DVDA might be decent, but didn't expect much from RB CD's. However, this is where is excells. Good with all formats; no I take that back, it's really good, period!

Nice solid and accurate bass with good extension, very good soundstage (width and depth), decent tonal accuracy and timing, and very good detail and air.

Vocals and intruments are nicely placed and distinct.

I like it better than my Sony NS999ES.

This is easily the best buy I've ever made. The fact that is sells for only $169 makes it an absolute best buy IMO and I am amazed at what I got for this amount of money.

I was also considering a used or new Denon, but not now.

My recommendation to anyone in the market for a really good uiversal DVDP is; don't walk. Run!
KR4 - The 981 is their top of line player and latest model. Check their web site.