New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
Elizabeth + 1. 
I agree that a really good SACD player makes for a great CD player. 
I have tha Marantz SA-15S-2b and my CDs sound wonderful. 

Also, Matej Isak of Mono & Stereo feels that outside of the recording studio, he's yet to hear anything better a well recorded CD or SACD on a top grade CD or SACD player. There's still life in them thar CDs.

All the best,
Nonoise
If there is any recommendation I can give than it would be in getting an external DA converter together with a good player. My experiences have been that it is an outstanding improvement. You can spend a reasonable amount of money on the drive, Marantz would deliver good ones, Esoteric probably top end. For the DA section I would go for 1000-1500 USD, personally I can recommend  RME ADI-2 DAC, which is phenomenal. Give it a go and you spend your 5K wisely. 
Look for an esoteric  player the model 1  is flagship built fantastic  or a Mark Levenson 
All sound excellent   there are others these two were top dog 
For a Loong time.
Simple really, buy a Rotel 1570, put the savings towards better acoustics for your listening room and more CD's !!