New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
Simple really, buy a Rotel 1570, put the savings towards better acoustics for your listening room and more CD's !!
Post removed 
My suggestion is to get a Cary Audio CD303/300 192kHz/24 bit HDCD player. It plays redbook CDs very well. List priced at $4500 circa 2004-2008, you can find a used one for between $1K and 1.5K. It is versatile, allows for different flavors with it’s upsampling feature. Plus, it has two 12au7 tube slots where you can add a less bright tube flavor, if you desire. I use the CD303/300 including it’s internal DAC standalone as well as a transport to different DACs. A prime candidate for a DAC which meshes well with the CD303/300 is the later still being made Cary product, the DAC-200ts. This DAC like the CD303/300 also has the two 12au7 tubes slot. It is a mood thing – sometimes using the Cary 200ts with the CD player sounds better than just using the CD303/300 standalone, but either way I prefer using with 12au7s but the latter only turned on in the CD player or DAC but not both. Other variables to consider are which speakers you are matching to the CD source. I have found that both B&W Nautilus 804s and the Fujitsu Eclipse TD-512 near range speakers match well with these Cary products using a McIntosh integrated solid state amp for the 804s and the Yamaha RX-V2700 for the TD-512s.

Hi..I would echo many of the other comments;

- Esoteric

- Rega

- Audio Note

I'm a vinyl guy with some 1200-1500 Redbook CDs that I enjoy on my over 20 year old $425 Jolida 601 Tube CD player with Telefunken 12AX7s....really sounds great and has been reliable except for the replacement of a fuse 2 years ago.  

For the Marantz SA-10 available to audition...
Audio Emporium in Brown Deer (suburb of Milwaukee) Wisconsin.
He mentioned to call to ask for an audition. The player may not be in the store.. So call to arrange for listening session.

As for old DACs and players sounding pretty good? I totally agree great sounding players are around.
(and some that sound terrible!) but it is pretty easy to get decent sound off CD.
I was happy with what I had for many years.
But I am awaiting the arrival of my new Marantz SA-10
And the upgrade in sound, for $7000 is subtle. and a little hard to justify to myself on the money side (being a cheapskate) But it seems enough of an upgrade in sound (particularly the treble, and I am a treble nut) to go for it.
I spent $7000 for upgrades on cables with almost the same amount of ’up’.. So I can justify it to myself.