New Yggdrasil - First (and second) Impressions

Okay, so I’ve finally (on order over 2 months) received my Schiit Yggdrasil. The unit arrived in exactly perfect condition (i.e. well packaged).

Upon first (and second) listening through all sources/inputs, I would need a stethoscope to discern any difference among my current components and connectivity. I also cannot detect any difference using the phase inversion button.

I suppose the aforementioned is a testament to how good my current system (before/without Yggy) already sounds. :)

I can easily A-B test because the Yggy is hooked in via balanced and my other components are also hooked directly to amp via RCA or USB.

Also, obviously I have NOT let the unit "burn in" for days because I just got it, however, it has come to full operational temperature after being powered on continuously over 24 hours.

System configuration: (Yggdrasil > XLR > Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amplifier > Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers )
all cables blue jeans cables "best" offering

Emotiva ERC-3 CD player > AES/EBU > Yggdrasil
Oppo UDP-205 blue ray player > coax > Yggdrasil
Samsung SMT-C5320 cable box > optical > Yggdrasil
Gateway NV79 Windows 10 64-bit computer > USB > Yggdrasil

I’ll be patient, but if there are any suggestions to "try" in order to hear *some* audible difference, that would be great. Appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks.
128x128gdhal
I should add, I have not heard the SA-10...I'm only presuming it has a similar DAC/analog stage to the NA-11S1 with the added transport in the same box, and added cost.  I neither assume it to sound better as a stand-alone DAC, nor worse.  That's 100% speculation.
Hi @parsons

I appreciate your candid feedback and comparison information. Thanks.

To your point about the Yggy definitely taking 300-400 hours to sound it’s best, of course, I’ve read this elsewhere and numerous folks share your sentiments in that regard.

Personally, I’ve never been much of a believer in equipment break in. When I first got my Yggy (analog A) and was in the trial 15-day period, I left it on 24/7 thinking - but not really expecting - some magical difference would present itself on day 7, 8 and so on with respect to day 1. In my opinion, there was *some* improvement, however, I would not be able to say/write that I could hear the improvement in a blind test. By contrast, I am able to tell the Yggy from my Oppo in a blind test. I then *intentionally* powered off the Yggy for 24 hours, turned it back on and again attempted the blind test. Same result. I was/am able to hear a difference (with the proviso that appropriate music is playing). But to my ears, the sound was no different after being off for 24 hours.

Further, I’ve performed external temperature readings with a probe. Granted, the external temperature is not the same thing as the internal temperature. But what I’m getting at here is that the external temperature was/is at it highest point after about one and a half hours (now an hour or so longer with analog B) of being powered on, which would lend some credence to the fact that the unit doesn’t need all that much break in.

I take solace in knowing that while I’m listening and the unit continues to warm, the sound only gets better. :)

EDIT:

If there is a difference after 300 hours or so, in my opinion it would be so subtle that elizabeth may not recognize it.... especially when listening to grunge bands :)
Some believe in break in--others don't.  I'm one of the firm believers.  It's cool if others disagree.

When I had the $16K DAC in my system, I listened closely to a number of tunes I know very, very well.  What I noticed was the soundstage tended to "float around" and be a little loose, in spite of being a little larger.  It sounded good, but "off."  Not different--"off."  After another 100 hours, it pulled itself together and much of the things that didn't sound right to me sounded corrected--more cohesive.  I asked the dealer, without indicating why I was asking, if this was a new unit or the previous version (there had been an update).  He said "yeah, current version, brand new...it's been played for a day or two only since we pulled it out of the box."  Then without my saying another word he said "Sorry, it's definitely not broken in either, so please keep it a couple weeks."  

Doesn't prove anything, nor am I trying to sway you.  But while I don't know that you'll hear a completely "magical" change, I do suspect you'll hear a soundstage improvement at some point in weeks 3 or 4, including the soundstage getting bigger.  And I also think powering it on helps, but having it's output section outputting signal is also an important break-in step in my opinion...I think you want it fully doing it's thing.

My further experience:  if you buy tubes from the factory, they change in the first week or so (output, driver, rectifiers--all uses).  If you build new crossovers for speakers, they mellow out and change in sound over the first couple of weeks (often sounding downright bad at first).  If you get a new cart for your turntable, you hear changes as you get through the first 50 albums or so, especially as you cycle back through favorites.  I'd prefer break-in didn't exist (I'm terribly impatient, especially with new, expensive equipment).  But I will never be convinced it doesn't unfortunately.  YMMV, obviously.