A Question on Speaker Driver Efficiency

I have been tweaking my guitar amps, by upgrading the speakers.

I installed a larger speaker (was 8" now 10") in my bass amp, but I made sure it was very efficient - net result
- not only is the bass much deeper sounding,
- but because the new driver was more efficiant I now play at a lower volume.

So I am now considering upgrading my other amp (i.e. used for my 6 string) and got to thinking about building a new cabinet that houses two speakers.

I know that connecting the speakers in ...
- series will double the impedance, i.e. 2 x 4 ohms would have an onverall impedance of 8 ohms
- parallel will halve the impedance, i.e. 2 x 16 ohms would have an onverall impedance of 8 ohms

But what I have not been able to get my head around is...
- what will each connection method (i.e. series or parallel) have on the "combined" sensitivity rating?
- e.g. if both speakers are rated at 96db sensitivity, will the overall sensitivity change due to the connection method or remain at 96db?

Since I can get 4 ohm or 16 ohm drivers - which connection method would be best? series or parallel?

in case it is a factor
- the amp is 15 watts into 8 ohm
- I am looking at employing two identical drivers each rated at 96db sensitivity
- 96 db (or higher) is the target for the combined sensitivity

Any help is appreciated - Many Thanks Steve
williewonka
I'm voting to remove cj1965 from our forum.  Administrator should already observe that he calls respected members "clueless".  I wonder who would join me and what is the procedure to remove such obstacle. 
CJ1965 4-18-2018
... the erroneous statement atmasphere made and you [Almarg] supported which suggested two 8 ohm speakers in series would each dissipate 1/2 watt with a total of 2.83V applied as input.
Neither I nor Ralph (Atmasphere) said or even implied that.
You can't apply or "provide a watt". All you can do is apply a voltage and the load draws whatever current it draws based on its resistance.
What we were referring to is applying whatever voltage is necessary to result in a total of 1 watt being consumed by the two speakers, whether they are connected in series or in parallel. Which is what is relevant if what is being referred to is the overall efficiency of the speaker combination, and if efficiency is defined as the SPL produced at 1 meter in response to 1 watt.

I'm not sure how that can not be clear, after all that has been said.

Regards,
-- Al

" So if you have a 97 db 1 watt/1 meter 8 ohm driver, two in series will have the same efficiency (since each is absorbing 1/2 watt) while the sensitivity is 94 db " - atmashpere

Each is not absorbing 1/2 watt when placed in series (with the required 2.83 V applied) and the net acoustical sum of output is approximately 97db - not 94db. Two obvious errors in one sentence. The math doesn't lie and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the verbal gymnastics at this point. The math is simple and anyone who wants to read the details above can readily see where the error was established. Yeah, you can double the input drive voltage to 5.7v and then the series arrangement will have each woofer dissipating 1/2 watt. You can also multiply the input voltage by 10,000 - it won't tell us anything about the effect placing two identical drivers in series has. Sorry, wrong is wrong. And with that, I have to move on. I have better things to do with my time.
As quoted by CJ1965:
" So if you have a 97 db 1 watt/1 meter 8 ohm driver, two in series will have the same efficiency (since each is absorbing 1/2 watt) while the sensitivity is 94 db " - atmashpere [sic]
Given that efficiency is defined as the SPL produced at 1 meter in response to 1 watt, when he said "since each is absorbing 1/2 watt" he clearly meant "since each is absorbing 1/2 watt if a total of 1 watt is being provided." Also, the paragraph in which that statement appeared certainly made no reference to 2.83 volts.

If that was not clear then it certainly should have become clear during the course of the subsequent posts, especially mine.
... you can double the input drive voltage to 5.7v and then the series arrangement will have each woofer dissipating 1/2 watt. You can also multiply the input voltage by 10,000 - it won’t tell us anything about the effect placing two identical drivers in series has.
Specifying the efficiency of a series combination of speakers, defining efficiency as the SPL produced at 1 meter in response to 1 watt, will tell us whatever can be told by an efficiency spec. As Ralph alluded to earlier, efficiency specs tend to be especially relevant in the case of tube amps, since for example in the case of an amp providing 4 and 8 ohm output taps maximum power ratings (in watts) will typically be the same or similar when an 8 ohm load is connected to the 8 ohm tap as when a 4 ohm load is connected to the 4 ohm tap.

Regards,
-- Al

Each is not absorbing 1/2 watt when placed in series (with the required 2.83 V applied) and the net acoustical sum of output is approximately 97db - not 94db. Two obvious errors in one sentence. The math doesn't lie and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the verbal gymnastics at this point. The math is simple and anyone who wants to read the details above can readily see where the error was established. Yeah, you can double the input drive voltage to 5.7v and then the series arrangement will have each woofer dissipating 1/2 watt. You can also multiply the input voltage by 10,000 - it won't tell us anything about the effect placing two identical drivers in series has.
@almarg  Its pretty evident to me that this guy seems to equate '1 watt' with '2.83v' and so is somehow assuming that I meant '2.83 volts' when I was pretty talking about the power (not voltage) being '1 watt'.

Also his intuitive grasp of Kirchoff's Law seems to be weak, and I further find that talking about capacitance when dealing with 2 guitar speakers as opposed to one rather silly, since any such distributed capacitance on the coils (or anywhere else) is going to be quite low and negligible. But even if it was not, in a series connection current would have to flow through both drivers in order for one to work. For all his 'hand waving', he seems to have no grasp of the formulae he presented, how they are used or their significance. 

@kijanki +1