Current, Amperage

I’m trying to make sense of the argument about various types of speakers [ sensitivity, brand, etc ] and their relationship with power/ current/ amperage.

Can someone please provide some basic perspective.

I have a 91.5db tall floor speaker [ Focal Chorus 826V ] and what should I look for in an amp to drive these? How much power do I really need with all things being equal? I use a VTL tube 2.5 amp if that matters to the discussion.

Thank you.
adman227
Just buy more power than you will ever need.
Too much is good, not enough is terrible.

Other considerations which may mean a lot after you find out..
Class A. Remember the power bill will go way up, plus plenty of heat.
Plenty of heat added from having a tube amp also.
Generally the IDLE wattage of the amp in the measurements will tell you the efficiency.

Do you want to leave the amp on 24/7? Then a Solid State amp is required.
Remember tubes need attention.

What are the impedance of the speakers? 8 ohm or 4 ohm?
If 4, you need to check the 4 ohm rating. Some double, other no where near double power to 4 ohms from 8
If 4, you need to check the 4 ohm rating. Some double, other no where near double power to 4 ohms from 8
Just because an amplifier can't double its power when impedance is halved does not indicate that it can't behave as a voltage source.

@elizabeth 

Thank you. 
I agree, and this IS the point of the discussion; What is enough [we know too little is bad, but how much overkill does one need ]?

I had a McInotsh MC252 - 250 WPC on either 2, 4 or 8 ohms, and I loved it, but do I need that again in a 12x12 room? used for $3500 for my type of setup is a lot. I don;t need the 'Wow' blue lights factor again :)

Can a Rotel 200 wpc or something else provide enough [that will be good] without having to spend more than $500-1000 used? 

Thanks; this is an interesting topic for all of us that have decent systems but maybe not more than $5-$10K into them. 
You don't need anything like that power in that room. You need maybe 50 watts if you want volume loud enough to destroy your hearing. 
I do NOT agree with recommendations to just buy more power than you'll ever need. More gain means more gain stages which means more distortion, and big iron seldom competes well with a quality lower power amp with simple topology. That's the entire basis upon which tube amps are built. 
It's more about synergy, not math.  I have a 300 wpc Mac but usually am using my 10 watt triode.  Running out of power can ruin a speaker and/or your experience but quality is much more important than quantity.  

My math was a generalization but you do need a frame of reference on these things.  Generally speaking you gain 3db for doubling your wattage is a great way to understand why going from 40 to 60 watts is virtually inaudible all other things remaining equal.