Holy Moly Blu-Ray Disc Players below $300

I was in a major electronics chain store last weekend and they had the entry-level Samsung player at about $300. But what really got my attention is that the membership warehouse stores have the Sony 301 (that's a 300 plus HDMI cable included) for under $280.

Makes me wonder if I should have just sprung for that Oppo DV-980H. I *did* get it partly for its SACD/DVD-A capabilities, though.
johnnyb53
12-20-07: Jdodmead
Just remember that when the 1st progressive scan players came out, they were very expensive also. Now you can get them for under $100. Hd and Blu Ray players will be dropping steadily and will probably end up down to what std players sell for now. Shortly most std players will be collecting dust in the corner, just like our VHS players are today.
In mid-2000 when DVD was already 2-3 years on the market, I bought a $1000 1999 Pioneer Elite on end-of-year closeout for $500 to make way for the new progressive scan models. It could *read* DD 5.1 and DTS off the disc, but couldn't process it internally. In another couple of years progressive scan DVD players with internal DD and DTS processors were $99 at warehouse stores. Now they're $39; $59 if you want one that upsamples via HDMI as well.

Around 1986, VHS Hi-Fi machines came out at around $1000 and were still $350-500 four years later. They were still around $250 in 1998. Now you can't even FIND one unless is also has a DVD drive.

But HD DVD came out in April 2006 at $800; Blu-ray in June/July at $800-1000, and today, 1-1/2 years later, you can get HD DVD players for $199 and 1080p Blu-ray players with 5.1 analog audio outputs for $280.

The hi-def player prices are dropping at a faster rate than anything ever before, but there is also plenty of room for features that should be added. For one thing, you can't get the hi-rez audio off most of the players unless you have a digital processor that handles the audio portion of HDMI, at least HDMI 1.1 as multi-channel uncompressed PCM. Otherwise, you're listening to some kind of downmix. It's my understanding that the Sony BDP 300 doesn't internally process TrueHD, so the 5.1 analog output is actually a downconversion.

So unless we go out and buy AV receivers and Pre/Pros that do HDMI audio, most of us won't hear TrueHD or lossless DTS until these players have hi-rez internal processors to put out hi-rez uncompressed analog audio via the 5.1 or 7.1 outputs.
I'd rather they improve the quality than lower the price, but that's just me I guess. Increase the computer chips memory or whatever it takes. These machines are worse than cheap computers, functionally.

I think Blu-Ray is over rated. Sure the picture looks nice....when it feels like working. I've had a couple Blu-Ray players, Samsung and Sony, both played regular DVD's with no problems. Both had problems playing Blu-Ray dvd's. Pixilating, freezing, shutting off, and just not playing the movie at all. I was told by Netflix that some of the copyguard is so sophisticated some machines just can't read them.

The picture isn't that much better that it's worth the hassle. Now my family asks me if the movie we are going to watch is on Blu-Ray or regular dvd. If I answer Blu-Ray, they usually leave the room. I guess you can only watch the first hour of a movie so many times before you learn your lesson.

Happy Holidays,
John

12-20-07: Jmcgrogan2
I'd rather they improve the quality than lower the price, but that's just me I guess. ...

I think Blu-Ray is overrated. Sure the picture looks nice....when it feels like working. ...
That's why I wanted HD DVD to win the format wars. Blu-ray is trying to do too much too soon.

By comparison HD DVD is easier to produce; it's more robust in the playing, and a higher percentage of HD DVD releases have delivered from the beginning, with great digital transfers, downloadable ROM upgrades, internet interactive features, implementation of Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD soundtracks, etc.
I agree with those that say HD players are clunky. However, the image quality is anything but clunky. On a full 1080p resolution screen it is stunning.

"Planet Earth" is absolutely stunning - incredible - amazing - you are there! The WOW factor exists in High Def 1080P but you need the entire kit and caboodle....a Blu-ray connected to a screen with LESS than the requisite 1920 by 1080 pixels is NOT high def and will lessen the WOW between regular DVD and the new format! (This is not hyperbole, as I agree fully with those that say that the Wow factor is totally absent for SACD or DVD-A versus CD)