single driver speakers

Someone please help me out here...

I am struggling to understand how a single driver system can sound anywhere near as good as a multiple-driver system with crossovers...

I understand that crossovers and multiple drivers can have issues with interference, phase, etc - but those drawbacks would seem to be vastly outweighed by the increased frequency response and clarity within a frequency spectrum that a multi-driver system produces.

I see these

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8ij2i-voxativ-ampeggio-due-70-off-priced-to-move-full-range

and just can not wrap my mind around how they could sound better than a multi-driver system costing 1/10 as much. (no knock intended on the seller of these speakers, I was just browsing listings and saw them so it made me wonder)

Thanks!
babyseaotter99
An easy entry to single driver is available at Madisound. The Markaudio Alpair 7 mounted in a recommended "Pensil" enclosure can provide a peek at the potential of single driver systems. The enclosures are easy to build and inexpensive using 3/4" plywood. The Pensil is a mass loaded transmission line, basically just a box with a slot at the bottom. Used in nearfield, some listeners may feel this is satisfying enough to not look elsewhere. At the total cost of under $300 including hardware and finishing, it might be worth a try.

I have a pair of these and find them quite nice.  As I indicated, they work well in the nearfield,  Satisfying bass, very good detail, nice treble extension and smooth response.  Dynamics are sharp.  Soundstage and imaging reflect the quality of the upstream electronics and recording.  

I did not have the same kind of results with some of the other drivers in the Markaudio line or from other manufacturers.
czarivey wrote: " I heard most of Lowther single driver designs and made my conclusions after listening few."

With all due respect, that's like stating that you rode in every trim model of the Chevy Cruze and so based on that experience you can comment on all 4-door automobiles.  Single driver, HE speakers may not be your listening choice but please don't try to influence someone else based on your limited experience.

Dear Otter Water , I had the same question 2 years ago . So I asked around like you did .  After some research , I purchased a pair of used Zu Omens . The gentleman I purchased them from went on to buy Voxative and   
DeVore speakers ( both expensive ) . It’s apples to oranges for the comparison to big multi speaker systems . So on a budget ( $8k ), I have a tube pre, SEP 12 wpc amp , DAC , CD transport,  Sub , and quality cabling . It does lack in certain areas . But the clarity , imaging and depth is phenomenal ! But you have to be in the SWEET SPOT . It’s like being in a pair headphones . Vocals and strings are unreal . Simple rock is clean . But something like “ Supertramp , Crime of the Century “ will have my system stumbling all over itself . I find my system best suited for late night listening alone . However Pink Floyd and the Beatles sound exceptionally good, and the bass is really impressive . If I jump from an El 34 to a KT 120 and play Grand Funk or Canned Heat, I can leave the sub off. If you remove the “ My dog is bigger then Your Dog “ comments , the info provided in this thread is correct , based on my limited experience . My next system will be big again. But before that happens , I’m going to get back into vinyl . My Schiit Yiggy and my MF transport can only do so much . The other big caveat is that my system will not make up for lesser quality recordings. Best wishes to you and if you take the leap , many places have a trial period. Respectfully, Mike B. 

Hello babyseaotter99,

i can speak a bit to this topic, with limitations, of course. I built a pair of single driver speakers to use with a tube amp kit (Bob Latino ST-120 kit, 70 wpc).  The drivers are Mark Audio Alpair 12p, cabinets are a slight variation of the Pencil design.  The rest of the chain is Rotel CD player with Arcam irDac, ProJect Carbon Debut w/Ortofon Blue cartridge, Schiit Mani phono pre, Schiit Saga preamp.  My experience has been this: single drivers are very nice for smaller scale music, but they fall short on bigger more complicate stuff, as to be expected.  These particular drivers have a very long break-in (Mark Audio suggests 300 hours, the first 100, I think at very low volume), I’ve had them over a year and it feels like they are still mellowing out.  Bass is very substantial for an 8” driver, and of nice quality too, considering the cabinet is vented (I’m learning that sealed cabinets are my thing!).  Midrange is very pleasingly detailed on good recordings, especially on those less complicated ones (think jazz trios, chamber quartets, etc.).  Where they fall very short is in treble quality, which can often sound etched and unnatural, sometimes even at low volumes.  The pros: you can build your own speakers for pretty cheap, $300 drivers, $80 MDF, $30 other parts, no crossover, so simple and straightforward.  The cons: they simply will not rock like a multi way, of course, so the program material they can handle is limited. Rickie Lee Jones and a piano will sound great, Metallica will not, especially as the volume goes up. For an investment of $400, you can have some fun and some speakers that can go head to head with ones I heard at Axpona this year that go for $4000. It’s much harder to get that kind of value in a multi way speaker.  
@seanheis1 Wow! Life must be tougher for audiophiles in America. So many choices and so much happening in the world of loudspeakers.

Along with Devore and Zu there seems to a trend towards minimalist drivers and crossovers - and high efficiency paper cones too.

This could well be another golden age of loudspeaker design.