Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
@soix 

If you read @grannyring thoughts above in multiple posts you'll see what he replaced the 2170 with, and how content he is..

Regarding vinyl playback.  I know Uberwaltz is very happy with the performance.  Me on the other hand, that was the one thing that I did not like about the 2170.  Don't get me wrong, it still sounds wonderful, especially running Room Perfect, but there's a certain warmth & edge that I was missing.  I did not use any tube gear previously, but class A/B amps sounded better in my opinion.

75% on my listening is vinyl, so I moved onto something different.  I will say that if digital is your main source, you will be extremely happy with the performance of the 2170.

Tbh it is hard to remember what vinyl sounded like on my McIntosh but I was using its own,built in phono stage so not a fair comparison to where I am now.
Probably25% vinyl playback, I stream most of my music nowadays so for me the ph10 into the 2170 is much more than "good enough" ...lol.

All I can say really is that I have not thought about looking at any other amp since buying the 2170

I have a question for 2170 owners.     

I purchased the 2170 about 4 months ago and overall, I am very happy with the 2170 in my system.  Prior to the purchase,  I sold my Denafrips DAC and am running my digital streamer (Aries Mini) directly into the coax input on the 2170.    I have my music stored as FLAC files on a NAS and also subscribe to Tidal.  Using ROON as the software for streaming.

I recently listened to the Chord Mojo in another system.  It was running through a Mcintosh processor and the stream was from an iPhone.  The sound was really good.    I wish now that I had at least A/B tested with the Denafrips prior to selling but I was using the proceeds to partially fund the 2170.

Anyone using an external DAC with the 2170?  I am interested in comparisons with and without the DAC.

Thanks,

Nick

Nicks25,

I briefly had a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and a Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC at the same time as the 2170 (I've owned the 2170 twice, ha), and did do some A/B testing.

Both the DACs above I thought did an excellent job, and sounded wonderful on their own.  I did not like them paired with the 2170 as much as when they were being used with different amps.  The digital inputs on the 2170 always sounded better, IMHO, by a large margin.

I think one of the biggest assets to the 2170, other than Room Perfect, is the way it implements digital processing. In my experience, it's counter-productive to have an outboard DAC and the 2170 at the same time.

I have not heard the Denafrips, and the Mojo I've only listened with headphones, so I can't say for sure how they'd integrate with the 2170, but my best guess would be leas favorable compared to the 2170's own digital processing.

Robert
robelvick,

Quality feedback.   Just what I was looking for (as I sit here streaming with no DAC!). Thanks for taking the time to rspond. 

Nick