Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
twoleftears, Re Boleros - Yep! Note in another thread there is a post by Granyring on the thread ’What used speakers rarely come up for sale to which I responded. Mine aren’t going anywhere. After 7 years they remain my eminent piece of audio gear. Interesting that they have outlasted most Silverline models yet you rarely see them used/for sale. They are for sale now (demo’s) for half of list on A-Gon. What the heck buy them unheard. If you want something that really is "musical - whatever the hell that is, :-), buy them unheard. At worst, they still look pretty.

Re Chopin - glad you have heard them and share my appreciation.

I do have Lupu’s Brahms, and I do like them, quite a bit in fact. I also greatly enjoy two volumes of Brahms solo piano music by Antonin Kubalek on Dorian. Some of the music duplicates Lupu’s but I wouldn’t be without them. I’ve got a lot(!) of Brahms piano music and chamber recordings but these two ’sets’ get nearly all of my attention.
newbee, I have my moniker because when I started to buy on here it seemed like I was the ONLY person on here that loved classical and
I doubted anyone would have a clue . Bit embarrassed now that I had the gall to use the name of one of the greatest composers who ever lived .
My favorite solo piano pieces are by Schubert, Brahms and Schumann .The latter two said that they were influenced by the former and you hear that in their music.There are so many great recordings of all three but to be honest, Radu Lupu is my go-to on all three ! With Imogen Cooper a close second on Schubert and Schumann and Nicholas Angelich and Ivan Moravek on Brahms .
Schubert, LOL, I've got a confession too. I'm not a newbie either. :-)

I have a few of Lupu's Schubert recordings  which I really enjoy, but perhaps not so much as Richard Goode's recordings of his piano sonatas on Non-such. But that is probably only because I first listened to Schubert via Goode and he is one of my favorite Beethoven pianists. Go figure, old dog/new tricks, etc.
There is no doubt the artist that brought you to a composer will always
have a special place in your heart .
newbee and schubertme tooi love radu lupu, have his complete decca compilation, it is 10 cds of beethoven, brahms, schubert and schumann
also his 2 cds of great pianists series, which also includes grieg
+ some mozart that is included in some Perahia recordingsI am also a big fan of Maria Joao Pires, her chopin nocturnes are my fav, also love her Mozart Sonatas, as well as several Schubert recordingsincluding duets with Ricardo Castro, and her "great pianists" cds.
Appreciate Moravek tooThe only Goode recording I have is  Brahms clarinet sonata, duet with Stolzman. Will have to look for more.
Angelich and Cooper are new to me, thanks for the tip