Zu Druid questions

For some reason I've ttally overlooked these speakers. I've seen them mentioned many times and am unsure why they didn't catch my attention until now.

Anyhow, I'm very curious. I am currently running a pair of Usher 6381's. Has anyone listenedd to both the six series Ushers and the Druids? I'd love to hear your observations.

These appear to be basically a horn type speaker in the way they function. Do they have a sound similar to that of say the Klipsh heritage series, or am I way off bass?

I once owned a pair of LaScallas that I loved, but just could not put up with the size. These have peaked my interest.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
Duke,

I appreciate your response as well. I agree that both ways of looking at things are important. I just feel that your ears should outweigh any measurement and test results. Yes, you can get some idea of what a speaker may or may not do in your system and environment by looking at its specs and lab measurements and maybe even reading some reviews, but I still think the only way to know for sure 100% if you will like it or not, is to get it in your room and throw some music at it. After all isnt that what this is all about? The music? :)

Sadly, yes, it is difficult for most to get an in home audition of any speaker of interest. I guess we all have to take chances here and there. Luckily there seem to be more and more manufacturers/dealers offering 30 or 60 day trials these days. That takes real confidence by a manufacturer like Zu...to say take our speakers home and listen to them for 2 months. If you arent fully satisfied, send them back.

Someone above asked what other speakers I have listened to and still decided to go with the Druids. Why have I decided to buy Druids as opposed to certain speakers I have listened too and can get at discounts? Several reasons...but mostly because of the way the Druids seem to present the music. Its hard to describe, but it was just more emotional and involving...maybe it was the room....maybe the gear...but it caught my attention. Have I been impressed the same by other speakers? Sure....but most of them cost many $$ more than the Druids...I would gladly rather have a pair of MAXX 2 or Summits....but right now, I will thoroughly enjoy the Druids in my system....now if I can decide on what custom finish to get....hmmmm....
Post removed 
Hello everyone; I'm still here, but have just been reading a learning.

I appreciate the debate about this speaker and have not taken offense to anyone's post and hope no one else has either. Good spirited debates like this can be very helpful IMO. I'm learing much from both camps.

I know of no other speaker that could generate this many comments. I also know of no other speaker that seems to be at both extremes in people's opinions. I'm intrigued to say the least.

After vacation I may order a pair just to see. I don't mind paying the shipping, but my only concern is that I might not have enough time to get these broken in properly. One thing everyone seems to agree on is the long break-in period.

Please don't stop. It seems that I'm not the only one that's interested and this has turned into a very nice thread IMO.

I would be interested to hear what type of music you guys listen to. Perhaps this might tell something about this speaker as well, i.e. rock guys like them; classical guys don't.

Just wish there was an easier way to audition.

Once again, thanks so much for your time and responses. They are most appreciated.
Jack, auditioning these speakers at home is the only way to properly hear them, IMO. You'll quickly see that happy Zu owners are those who heard them in their systems and not in demo settings.

It appears to be worth the extra effort. Perhaps, if you can be patient Zu can break in a pair for you? It's worth asking.
Good suggestion,Tvad. I think I read somewhere (6moons?)that Zu has started to break-in all of their speakers prior to shipment. Best to confirm that with Sean or Adam rather than just believing me.
And by the way, everybody, what's wrong with buying your speakers because you think they're cute or they match your vest or the butcher has a pair? We audiophiles make this kind of selection a matter of life and death. And we battle over a hair's breadth of difference between two products both of which stand a mile above Bose.
I think our anal obsession may be a good part of what keeps non-audiophiles from enjoying the music. For me this is a passtime, not a sacrament.