Zu Druid questions

For some reason I've ttally overlooked these speakers. I've seen them mentioned many times and am unsure why they didn't catch my attention until now.

Anyhow, I'm very curious. I am currently running a pair of Usher 6381's. Has anyone listenedd to both the six series Ushers and the Druids? I'd love to hear your observations.

These appear to be basically a horn type speaker in the way they function. Do they have a sound similar to that of say the Klipsh heritage series, or am I way off bass?

I once owned a pair of LaScallas that I loved, but just could not put up with the size. These have peaked my interest.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
Casouza, thanks so much for this informative post. I could care less about measurments, only the sound.

Jack,

Exceptional speakers do not need to be reasonably flat with wide dispersion to sound good. You are right to care only about the sound. Let us know how the Zu's sound if you get to audition them. I enjoyed your review of Energy Veritas a while ago. Good luck and enjoy your vacation! (BTW: Las Vegas Pro Audio is on your route - might be worth your time as the live, dynamic or impulse response that Casouza describes as a feature of the Zu's is also a trait you can often find in pro audio gear)
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Once I get my 2.3i's sold and get back from vacation I'm going to order a pair.

Of course I'll post a follow-up when appropriate.

Again; many thanks.
Thanks for the highly informative post, Casouza. Obviously I was wrong in my guess about the construction of the Druid, and I appreciate your setting the record straight.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
OK Guys, I already took the plunge. I was looking at speakers on ebay and found that Zu had a limited number of the Druids on sale for just two grand so I jumped on it.

I tried to call them to verify that these were in fact their latest model, etc., but it was too late so I just went for it.

I also still want to find out if they will be broken in before shipping.

Anyhow, I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

Sure hope someone buys my Veritas' soon before my wife kills me. Ushers, Veritas and Druids for one room. ;0)
Congrats Jack!...They are the latest Druids. Zu is selling the remaining stock of matte black and will be going to gloss black production as well as the other colors. But, the matte finish has ended, thus this sale it appears. I dont think the 60 day refund applies(I didnt see that it the ad... could be wrong on that..) however you can verify that with Zu. Either way, you can always sell them for your paid price(or close to it)..let us know how they sound. I believe Zu breaks them in for ~100 hours in-factory, but you will definitely want to get at least 200 hours logged on them to sound very good.

regards,
Ken