Zu Druid questions

For some reason I've ttally overlooked these speakers. I've seen them mentioned many times and am unsure why they didn't catch my attention until now.

Anyhow, I'm very curious. I am currently running a pair of Usher 6381's. Has anyone listenedd to both the six series Ushers and the Druids? I'd love to hear your observations.

These appear to be basically a horn type speaker in the way they function. Do they have a sound similar to that of say the Klipsh heritage series, or am I way off bass?

I once owned a pair of LaScallas that I loved, but just could not put up with the size. These have peaked my interest.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
I will certainly agree that these Druids are the finest sounding speakers we've ever heard. Just amazing emotional presentation, at any volume level.

I'm running Bel Canto eVo 200.2 amps with each of my two pairs of Druids. Could not be happier with this combination.

Libtec cables on one pair and Wax on the other. By all means try the Zu cables, they are outstanding. My old favorite Kubala-Sosna went away quick after trying the Zu.

Both sets are on carpet. I had machined some 1" aluminum plates for bases, but found no extreme difference in my rooms from just spiking to the floor, so that is where they live now.

I did finally put a Hsu subwoofer back into each system, may upgrade those to Mini Method one day. But they are not doing much, just a touch of gain at 40 Hz and below.

I think I mentioned that after trying the Druids for movies, I ended up just removing my center and surround speakers from the (formerly 5.1) HT room, am only using the single pair of Druids and the sub. Much better sound for all movies, TV, and music, for my tastes.

Shadhorne, I was reminded that you asked for pictures, I had forgotten this thread. Here is the HT room:

http://www.sunsetwind.com/Druid_GS_30/100_2555_30c.jpg

and here is the recording studio:

http://www.sunsetwind.com/Druid_GS_30/100_2560_30c.jpg
http://www.sunsetwind.com/Druid_GS_30/100_2561_30c.jpg

Along with the sheer joy of listening to the Druids for pleasure, there is *no* doubt, these are the best mixing/mastering monitors I've ever used. Better than my PMC, SLS, Tannoy, Dynaudio, B&W, Celestion, whatever. So easy to hear the qualities of the sound. And never any listening fatigue.

Steve
Thanks for lending so much credibility, Steve. I've been flailing away in the wilderness fighting editorial suppression and uninformed naysayers for well over a year on the topic of Zu Druids. These speakers are so much bigger in performance than anyone would guess from looking at them. I moved up to the Definitions about a year ago but I still consider retreating to the Druid because they offer more bang for the buck than any other speaker I have noticed including my Defs.

It's really cool seeing the Druids standing over that sophisticated recording console. Quite a testimonial.
You are welcome Macrojack, and my thanks to you as well for all your reviews and discussions of the Zu speakers. I might not have been as willing to consider them without pioneers like you doing the trailblazing, I hope you keep it up. But I'm from the Show-Me state, and had to experience it myself to really know how they would suit my needs. As I do every piece of audio equipment I ever comment on. Wish more folks would just do that simple thing, and not have to argue about why they cannot work. Their loss.

I can honestly say that in the short time I have had the Druids, they have helped me get mastering contracts that I otherwise would not have. The ability to hear and adjust the midrange is just about the most important factor for creating the tone of the final CDs, and the Druids are the best at this I've ever found. No hyped treble that might leave me guessing at the top end. And the clean, fast bass response is the finishing touch, offers such a realistic presentation that allows me to shape sounds that will translate well on a wide range of playback systems.

I've heard what the competition on my latest project were producing from their 'multi-crossover self-powered super detailed reference monitors', usually with a !hole! where a midrange driver should be. Some of those samples were pretty painful to my ears. And I am also guilty of doing similar things in the past.

I am so done with that type of audio reproduction. The Zu's just present the honest emotion and allow me to keep that feeling plus the real dynamics of the music. Whether just listening or while polishing the mixes to a smooth, vintage, analog sound. I should probably shut up about that, will lose my advantage if the other guys catch on. ;)

Steve
Squeegybug, what differences did you hear between your two Zu speaker cables? I'm considering both.