What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?

So that is the question, "What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?" I would think it interesting to know what others have found in an introspective way. This is what I have found.

1. At first I believed in the hype created by over-enthusiastic new gear owners. Most often I made mistakes in buying gear other people liked rather than listening to audio components and picking the pieces I enjoyed.
2. I found more actual enjoyment in listening to my music and my equipment rather than lust after better equipment, much of which is out of my financial reach.
3. I can learn from others on audio sites like audiogon.com. Some other sites are much more geared toward advertising than exchange of ideas and/or opinions.
4. It is ok to want a Bose Wave radio. I once owned Bose 901 speakers in the 80's.
128x1282psyop
Great question.

I eventually learnt not to trust magazine reviews or anyone with a vested interest.

I used to look down on pro/industry gear thinking domestic stuff was better. I tend to feel the opposite nowadays.

I learnt that there is no such thing as a definitive recording. Even if the recording remains the same, it's unlikely that the room and the system will. It's definite that you the listener won't. It just isn't possible to hear records the same way we did originally. Still we keep trying.

I have learnt that Hi-Fi is not everything. Hey, even music is not everything, believe it or not!  For me tone is the best drug out there, but there's also a whole world out there too.

I even learnt to love Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bill Evans, Jazz, Instrumentals, and even Classical. 20 years ago I couldn't imagine such a thing. That kind of stuff just seemed too boring then.
I must be slowing down, in a good way.

I was always a lyrics man and music second, now it's 50/50.

One thing hasn't changed, I still love the Beatles.

"What has your audiophile experience taught you about yourself?     That I love music. Music is a balm to sooth my soul.                 
Particularly since I am now retired and I have something to 'do' every day all day no matter what else might be troubling me or causing problems.   The equipment is a fun hobby, and a way to keep my bank account small enough I do not have to worry someone might rob me!   The various sites about audio also keep me busy. And they let me know I am still quick to anger, quick to want to retaliate, and also quick to try to not be such a jerk. Keeping my wits sharp to discuss stuff ,as so many are so full of sh'et and love to argue about the equivalent of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, all ten billion variations..  LOL      And recognizing that even though I think I know it all, I can easily make mistakes, and have to strength to admit them.  (yes Geoff, I HAVE had my wires backwards, and do not care!.)

That I'm blessed to be alive at this particular point in time. There is so much music available to us right now!  

1)  I have listened to very expensive systems up to $1,000,000.  I have found that you can spend a very modest amount of money and get really enjoyable system.

2)  Always let your wife have the last big purchase.

I thought I would post what being an audiophile and posting on audio sites has taught me. That posting anything is like yelling out on a street corner at 2AM next to a bar full of drunks:",Hey! lets all have a fight! "
That some folks just have to tell you what you did wrong, and what you should have done, even is all you are doing is saying you bought something.      
That no matter what you write, someone is going to totally vehemently disagree with you.
That some folks are going to tell you your own experiences have no meaning, because they have this theory... And they know it is right, and that your experience is totally confused rubbish, because hey! they know their theory is right, right!