McIntosh Guy Going Tubes? (Maybe?)

Need some thoughts, comments, advice: present system (mainly McIntosh): Wilson Sabrina’s, MC601 monos, C52 pre, MEN220 room cor, MB50 streamer, MCD80 spinner, PSAudio P10 regenerator. My thoughts are to go analog/tubes via MC275 MKVI monos with C2600 pre(and undefined TT). Pros - Cons?
128x128bradlye
You can always trade up to the C1100 (McIntosh have good resale value). I believe the C2600 is warmer and the C1100 is more resolving or SS leaning. For pure performance the C1100 will be better but the C2600 is already a great choice.

I have been running a C220 preamp with a SS power amp for about 8 years, and I am very happy with this combo.  I just don't have the patience or heat tolerance for a tube power amp and all the maintenance they usually require.

I replaced stock tubes with current reproduction Mullard 12AX7, and the C220 got quieter, smoother, and the soundstage expanded.  Very affordable tubes even if you buy tested, matched quads.  They are not too warm, IME, but just right.

I have to be a heretic here. I've had an ocean of Mc30, 60, 75, 225, 240, 275, and while I loved the look, I was never all that impressed by the sound. On the other hand, I found the rather humble and neglected MA230 to sound better than all of them. Honestly, prices for all those, including the 230 have gone up but generally you can get back about what you spend should you decide to sell. As the risk is low that way, play about!
I've never had McIntosh gear, but I also have the Wilson Sabrinas and thought I'd put in my experience.

Currently, I'm driving them with an ARC Ref6 preamp and D'Agostino Master Classic stereo amp.  This combination sounds fantastic and very musical.

HOWEVER: I recently got a Cary CAD300SEI integrated amp for my office setup (SET 300B tube based and 15 Watts per channel).

Had some of my friends over to hear it, so I brought the Cary and the Omega single driver speakers from my office to my main setup.  On a lark, plugged in the Sabrinas and was amazed how well this amp handled the Sabrinas' difficult load (87 db sensitivity, 4 Ohm nominal load with a dip to 2.53 Ohms).  Besides being able to drive them to a satisfying volume level, the midrange just came alive.  Bass was not quite as controlled as with the D'Agostino, but still quite satisfying.  The Cary is in for some upgrades to the capacitors and recitifiers, as well as adding a left and right pre-out for my JL Fathom subwoofer, and my plan is to use the Cary and sell on the ARC and D'Agostino.

My point is that you shouldn't get too wrapped up in the watts a tube amp is rated for - I suspect my satisfaction with the Cary is more due to current delivery than the watts it produces - but that you should get in some different types of amps in for a home audition if you can and see what floats your boat with your Sabrinas.
I don't have any experience with the Sabrinas nor with the specific components mentioned in the previous post but my takeaway from hearing difficult speakers driven with low powered SET amps/integrateds is the outcome depends on the musical content, loudness of the music and the size/shape of the listening room. Vocals, solo instrumentals, and small ensembles sound magnificent at moderate listening levels particularly in a near field arrangement. Complex content with a lot of musical transients, including lower octaves, sounded strained and wooly at higher listening levels. In the ideal world, one would've separate systems for different types/genres of content but that is not always possible. On paper, I would have expected putting a Ref6 in front of a Master Classic2 would be the best of both worlds.