Outer ring - who uses and what are your findings

Hi. 

I have been thinking about getting an outer ring to help flatten/couple/stabilize my vinyl as it rotates. 

Curious what your experiences have been. 

Thanks!

p
perkri
If you have any problem, or even exertion sensation, in lifting a 3-4 lbs outer ring, you should hit the gym. 3 lbs is plenty to flatten anything that's going to get there. In the Clearaudio system, the ring plops right on, perfectly fitted and centered via a lexan lip on the platter. That's less annoying to me than screwing in a threaded clamp, or fiddling with a reflex clamp. Also the vertical bearing is a magnetic suspension with 0 friction or contact along that direction, so the ring weight cannot cause any wear.
Another happy VPI Prime user with Stillpoints LP1 and Periphery ring.  I also have a VPI weight that came with the Prime, and on a VPI HW19 MKIII a older VPI Clamp.  The setup on my Prime, works the best, but they all work.
As I have not tried one these are just musings.
Surely one of the 3 to 4lb rings is only going to work on a tt with a generous platter weight and powerful motor?

I guess if you are in the market to spend $1000 to $1500 for a ring it should be presumed obvious your tt would be up to snuff to start with.
I have a SME 10 and the screw down clamp works well but it does not correct poorly warped records.  BTW @invictus005, SME makes both a screw down clamp and a collect clamp (both are the same reflex design clamps) to be used on non-threaded spindles. 

For warped records I use a TTW copper ring clamp with excellent results. There are a lot of very usable and rare warped vinyl records that can be rehabilitated by using a ring clamp.
Is there such a thing as an " affordable" outer ring?
I mean less than the cost of a lot of people's carts or whole tt?