who makes a decent center channel speaker?

thinking of going vandersteen...any others come to mind?
128x128phasecorrect
Iplaynaked: "Unfortunately, the construction of the vast majority speakers is faulty BY INTENT as they cater to aesthetics and convenience rather than performance."

Faulty by Intent? Um whatever "faulty" means.
Simple. Have you ever asked why reputable companies make all their speakers, except dedicated centers, as vertical arrays? Horizontal MTM arrays (and, in fact, almost all horizontal arrays) are faulty because the create irregular dispersion in the horizontal plane. (If you do not know why, Google a bit and find out about 'Venetian blind effect.') The reason they make horizontal MTMs for centers is, despite their knowledge of its faults, they have fed the public's misapprehension that centers should be horizontal. The only reasons for the horizontal arrangement are convenience, esthetics and/or ignorance. (I am not discounting the importance of convenience and esthetics but one should know the trade-offs before choosing.)

Note that some companies have changed their designs and all the new Paradigm 3way centers have the HF/MF arranged vertically. Note also that some companies, such as B&W, use the horizontal array for their less expensive models, like the HTM61 and HTM62, while reverting to proper design principles in their statement products, like the HTM7 and HTM1 through HTM4 models.

Kal
I have all Vandersteen and there big center vcc5 is the best I have herd. I love it! the vcc1 is ok soud reproduction is smooth and accurate but is lacking in the low range.

Ok that being said your center is only as good as it matches your sides so go with the best matching center you can for your sides. The center is the most important speaker 70% of your sound will be form it.
Interesting thread. I do think that with an A/V system like the Anthem D2 it is easy to get past the urge to stick with the same manufacturer.
Unclejeff: Interesting thread. I do think that with an A/V system like the Anthem D2 it is easy to get past the urge to stick with the same manufacturer.
If you had to, ARC or Audyssey will compensate greatly but not entirely. Also, since there are limited resources in the products using these softwares, you have to consider whether you want to use them for an avoidable issue or conserve them for the unavoidable ones. ;-)

Kal
I am not discounting the importance of convenience and esthetics but one should know the trade-offs before choosing.

Sadly, these trade-offs are nearly always in the top three for most speakers designs out there.

The number one trade-off, being COST - small light weight cheap drivers (small motor small voice coil) with an aesthetically pleasing look being the principal approach, as it gets two birds with one stone.

The reality is that ugly speakers with cheap cabinets and expensive drivers do not sell to "audiophiles" as well as those speakers designed the other way round!!!

It is rarely about the performance. It is most often about the look. It is the same with sports cars...

Car manufacturers are not at fault if they build what customers really want rather than what they "claim" they want. It is the same for speakers...

Do you really think all those weird fanciful shapes are necessary? Like the aerofoil and go faster stripes on a car...

B&W knows a thing or two about industrial graphic design, so do many many speaker manufacturers....