10 sonically best rock recordings ?

In your opinion what are the 10 sonically best rock recordings ?
mejames
Hey...this is fun!

Looking back at the original question, I didn't see whether vinyl or cd was specific in the recommendations, but here's my 2 cents. Sometimes I find I get really excited when I hear a pressing or version of a classic recording I have always loved that shines new light and presents it in a way I've never heard before. I'm not about to recommend a great sonic recording if I don't enjoy the music, and I may tend to want to recommend a recording because I love the music so much, so keep that in mind.

I LOVE the Mobile Fidelity UHQR's. They represent the highest quality of playback available. Never heard the Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon", but just listening to the regular MFSL recording would have me rate that near the top. I do have Supertramps "Crime of the Century" in UHQR and that is incredible. It tests the system its being played on. Other faves:

Dire Straits - 1st album - Japanese Pressing vinyl
Waiting for Columbus - MFSL (best concert album ever?) vinyl
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms XRCD (this was recorded in digital and shows incredible depth here.
Heart - Dreamboat Annie - Nautilus vinyl
Fleetwood Mac - (both the "white album" with 'Rhiannon' and "Rumors") - Japanese pressing vinyl
Michael Jackson - Thriller SACD (this album may have been recorded without any real instuments other than voices, so eveything on here has the 'digital' sound, but that was what they were trying to do, and it sounds impressive)
Beatles - Abbey Road - Japanese pressing vinyl Pro-Use series. The overall sound doesn't stand up to the rest of these recordings but I've never heard it sound better!

I could list dozens more, but it was fun boming up with these!
Floyd...darkside
Rush...moving pics
Police...regatta de blanc
Dire Straits...debut....
Fleetwood Mac...rumours
Eagles...hotel ca
queen...queen II
Boston
Steely Dan
supertramp
My choices, in no particular order:
Rough Mix - Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane
Pink Floyd - DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, Final Cut
Close to the Edge - Yes
Love Over Gold - Dire Straits
Reckoning - Grateful Dead (2 LP vinyl. Acoustic sets from 1980 Radio City Music Hall shows)
Dirt Silver & Gold - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Manassas - Stephen Stills
I guess I should listen to the newer releases of Pink Floyd albums. I got most of mine in the early 90's... I think they sound great though...

I would second Fleetwood Mac Rumors. I'm not a big fan of them but I was really impressed by the quality of the recording.

Also, Joni Michell Miles of Ailes HDCD. It is a "live" recording (with audience cheering and such) but the sound quality is top notch!!
The new Dire Straits remasters sound amazing...well worth looking into...Sony SBM technology...I wonder when this will be released on SACD...you might want to wait a bit if you have a player...Floyd dsotm is scheduled to be released on March 3 on sacd...