What is your favorite type of tweeter?

It seems to me that 98% of speakers under $1000/pr use dome tweeters, 95% of speakers under $5000/pr use domes, 92% of speakers under $10000/pr use domes, and 90% of speakers over $10000/pr use domes. Do those stats seem reasonable?

If a manufacturer were designing a new loudspeaker at a $5K or $10K price point, would there be a bias in favor of domes, in order to stick with a known, familiar entity, or a bias away from domes, in order to create interest and set oneself apart from the competition?

This forum does not have a "Poll" function, so I can't ask everyone to vote for their favorite type of tweeter. But I will be grateful for any comments.
javachip
It depends on what you are trying to build.Especially the bandwidth of the midrange driver.Do you design similarly to the Scaena,with minimal crossovers or use steep filters and phase compensation.Many variables.
My first thought would be the midrange driver,its' bandwidth /effiency.With the proper choice,the tweeter is more easily integrated and need not carry a heavy load.IMHO.
Javachip,the Plasma zapping could be useful in my backyard...zapping mosquitos during summer -:)

Maybe we're on to something.
>>>>if you were designing a speaker at the $5K or $10K price point, would you go with a dome or a non-dome tweeter?<<<<

If it were a 2 way I'd design around a large ribbon (the "bigger" RAAL for the $5k and Raven R3.2 for the $10k+ range).

A 3 way is more complex, but the midrange to be used would, to a large extent, determine potential candidates.
no one has commented on electrostatic tweeters. why ?

Perhaps because that is a major problem with large flat panels - being the opposite of a point source they suffer from severe beaming issues that will cause "comb filtering" in what is heard.