Watch TV by pass preamp/processor

Iam hooking up a home theater with separates and will have all source components hooked up to the preamp/processor and out to the TV.

I would like o be able to watch TV/tivo the "old fashoined" way at times. Does the preamp act as a bypass if not turned on? or
Can I create another path by using component out from the TIVO(HDMI to preamp) and select that input for"normal" viewing?
ralonghi
i agree with what has been said...one recommendation:

run your HDMI from Tivo to your TV (best picture quality assuming your TV is good quality). Then run an optical or coaxial to your preamp/processor for sound only. An HDMI cable today is no better at sound than an optical or coaxial...only better for picture. If you run your HDMI to your preamp/processor you will have to run it to watch TV (not pass through on video).

Cheers
I do essentially what Chadlesko recommends, but I use an HDMI switcher to choose a video source between my HD-DVR and PS3. You might do the same if you choose to include a DVD/BD player among your sources.

db
By old fashioned I meant to watch TV/TIVO without turning on the pre/amp HT system which I htink all addressed

Just to clarify I was thinking along the lines of Chadlesko with a folllowup. I get leaving my HDMI from Tivo to tv to watch without turning on the amp with the tv set on the corresponding input for the HDMI-Lets call that input 7.

Now to watch TV in a HT atmosphere for TIVO/cable don't I need to run audio and video from TIVO to preamp and then back out to the TV at let's the input 6.

So when I watch regular tv input set to 7 and with pream/amp input 6
Will that work?
The video doesn't change whether the pre/pro is on or off, if you take the video directly to the TV. Just the audio does. I zero the audio on the TV, turn on the pre/pro, and select the HD/DVR input. In my case, I do need to switch video if I go from HD/DVR to PS-3, and, as I previously mentioned, that's done with an HDMI switcher.

db