Is It Possible?

Help!!!

Is it possible for a pair of Quad63 sounds better than a pair of Focal Utopia Scala I?  I am was using the Scala in my system and was very happy with the overall result, except for an occasionally bright sound on certain recordings.  I recently bought a pair of non-working Quad63 at a garage sale for $250, had them serviced for about $650.  I was going to use the quad in my office for background music, but I decided to have a A/B test against my beloved Scala.  I almost fell of my chair when heard what came out of the Quad. The vocals and the instruments just came alive, especially the female's voice.  The only advantage I gave to the Scala was the soundstage, which is wider and a little deeper than the Quad.  How can this be?  What am I doing wrong with the Scala?  How can a pair of $900 speakers sounds much better, in my opinion, than a pair of speakers that cost me almost $25,000?

myaudio168
If you are looking for something that combines what you like about both your speakers then definitely try to audition ATC (especially those with the 3” mid range). The design goal of ATC is almost entirely based on the sound of Quad electrostatic. The aim of the design was to reproduce the super clean and clear Quad sound (super low distortion and no resonances) but with greater dynamic range, bass extension and higher SPL.

Many longtime electrostatic fans moved to ATC like Gordon Holt, Stereophile. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too!

BTW I am familiar with the Focal Utopia Scala and it is an excellent speaker but for sure the Quad will have easily alerted you to what you are missing.

Thanks for the suggestion shadorni.  I don't know much about ATC, but I'll definitely check them out when I get a chance.   
Welcome to modern high end audio. 
But yet every year speakers make huge leaps and gains rendering the previous model hopelessly obsolete 🙄
The 63's act as a point-source full-range driver. No complex x-over like in the Focal's and other box speakers. A much purer sound! Superior accuracy with impulse response! I'll take the 63's anytime over a box speaker with multi-drivers!
The founder and owner of SME had an array of 16 horizontally and vertically stacked 63's in his listening room! I saw the pictures! And he could afford any speaker in the world!