Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
I spoke to John at Ohm about the new speakers. Having picked up a pair of 100S3s about 8 months ago, I was concerned/interested in the introduction of a newer line of speakers. Here's what I learned from him –– the 100S3 falls in-between the new 1000 and 2000 models in both size and sonic quality. (Since the 1000 will sell for $2,000/pair and the 2000 for $2,800/pair, that makes it sound like the 100S3 at $1,800/pair was a good bargain!) If you trade in the 100S3 (or any older model), Ohm will give up to a 100% credit towards a new model. I can trade in the 100S3s for the Model 2000 and get 100% trade-in value. The 100S3s will not have a 100% trade-in value toward the Model 1000, but it will be close.

As usual, you get a 120-day trial period with any of the newer models, so you can have them for A/B comparisons with present speakers. Ohm charges you for the new pair. If you return the new ones during the 120-day period, you get full refund (less shipping). If you keep the new ones and return the older ones, you are given a credit refund for the (usually) full purchase price.

He also explained that the newer driver is cast, while the older ones were stamped. I'm lost on that. The sonic changes, which is what I'm interested in, will be minimal. The main change is cosmetic - the rounding of the edges of the cabinets, made possible when they figured out how to make a round frame for the cloth covers.

The trial period seems like a no-risk way to decide if the new model is worth it. Once I get moved into my new house, I just may order a pair of 2000s to try!
I received the email below the other day announcing the new line:

"Hi Folks,

We are back to work and starting to produce our next generation of Ohm Walsh speakers. The sound has made evolutionary improvements; the maintenance-free lifespan has been extended; plus the cabinet styling and finish have substantially improved.

All current Ohm Walsh speakers sound pretty much the same when used in the size room they are designed to be played in. Instead of a Good-Better-Best line-up where you get better sound for more money, we make the best we can for small, medium and large rooms. In this generation, we have tighten up the deep bass, "sweetened" the highs with new super-tweeters an made the voices a bit more intelligible, particularly on dialog.

The pure-foam surrounds and damping materials have limited most vintage Ohm Walsh speakers to a 10-20 year maintenance-free lifespan. In this new generation, we have moved to different materials with much longer lifespans: 40-50 years in some models! Additionally, most models now use cast metal frames for greater stiffness and strength.

The styling has been finalized with a softer, gentler, more graceful look:

1. All will have rounded vertical edges, rounded plinths, and rounded grills.
2. All veneer choices are at no extra cost.
3. Each cabinet gets at least two additional coats of hand-rubbed finish.
4. Photos will be coming in a few weeks when our website is updated.

The recommended room sizes (width x length x height) have been finalized:

* MODEL ROOM SIZE (volume)
* MicroWalsh SE 600-1000 cu.ft
* 1000 800-1600 cu.ft
* 2000 1300-3000 cu.ft
* 3000 2400-5400 cu.ft
* 4000 4500-8500 cu.ft
* 5000 800-8500 cu.ft

The pricing has been finalized:

* MODEL PRICE (per pair)
* MicroWalsh SE $1400
* 1000 2000
* 2000 2800
* 3000 4000
* 4000 5500
* 5000 6500

These prices are for the floor-standing, full range versions. We will also be offering versions for Home Theater applications (center, sides and rears) in both floor and wall mounted styles. Matching powered subwoofers will be available to provide systems providing both audiophile music reproduction and dramatic movie effects.

The Ohm Walsh speakers still provide the widest Sweet-Sweep, where precise stereo imaging can be heard, of any speakers in the world as well as some of the most natural, intelligible voice reproduction in music and dialog. You do not have to sit in just one spot to enjoy an exciting stereo soundstage.

Introductory Sale: For orders taken in July and August, S&H will be only $50 per pair anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Up-Graded older Walsh speakers are available at great prices. Save 20-40% and get the new sound on recycled, refurbished cabinets. Various models and veneers available.

All Ohm speakers are made in Brooklyn NY and we are proud of it!

Please call me personally to discuss your needs and options.

Good Listening!

John Strohbeen, President, 800-783-1553

For more information, please visit our WebSite: http://www.ohmspeakers.com

Click here to unsubscribe. We do not believe in SPAM and do not offer our list to anyone else."
This must be an exciting time for Ohm, and I hope they sell thousands of the new speakers.

Myself- I'm totally happy with the MWT's, and won't be trading them in any time soon.

If my next house has a large enough room, I will certainly be buying the 1000's (or any other model, depending on room size)

-P
Mapman and Winegasman,

Wow, thanks for all that information. That's really cool. Did either of you get a hint of when the new models will be rolled out?