Mytek slams Hypex in Stereophile Amp Review

Mytek's chief designer, Michal Jurewicz, told me. "Hypex [class-D modules] cannot drive it, the amps collapse, but this Brooklyn Amp does it with ease."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-brooklyn-amp-power-amplifier

Which is pretty interesting, because the closest I could find to their specs is from ICEpower modules. :) 

I've not been able to do comparisons with Hypex vs. ICEpower amps, so I have no idea what this is about. I use both but certainly not with difficult speakers. 
erik_squires
Not if there's a -50'-60' degree negative phase shift also at 3ohms, then the amp could be looking at nearer 1ohm.

Not exactly how this works, but yes, large phase shifts mean high currents near zero volts. Hard for most amps. Would be nice if we had impedance graphs for the Duntechs.
High current at near 0 volts is a lot easier than high current at higher voltages :) This might be why some of our customers had success with the Sovereigns, and we make OTL amplifiers.

Bruno Putzey is one of the top class D designers in the world and the Hypex modules are extremely competent. I highly doubt that they could not drive the Sovereigns. Now the modules need power, and if someone put them in a box that did not give the modules the power they need, that's another thing altogether! I'd be a bit nervous blaming the performance of the amplifier on its modules until I knew more about how well its power supplies worked!
One of the very interesting and best things about Class D is that those modules can be made modified and made proprietary by engineers.
I'm not so sure about it being possible to modify the modules themselves. I believe that they are pretty fixed.

Perhaps the module makers (Hypex, ICE, TI, etc) could tweak the switching frequency for a company like Mytech to impose a house sound, but Class D is high tech and boutique amp makers don't design semi-conductors. 

Where the boutique amp makers get to play and differentiate themselves is with the case, power supply, outputs, and possibly a pre amp.  
Do any readers have specific experience with Hypex amps and big speakers to confirm or deny Mytek’s claims?
My experience is with Rogue’s Hypex-based Sphinx and Pharaoh. Neither could produce the lowest octave of my Monitor Audio Silver 8s (not the most efficient speakers, but certainly not anywhere near the worst). The same applied with my Epos Epic 2s - fairly efficient speakers. My $300 Yamaha embarrassed those amps when it came to bass.
I'm not so sure about it being possible to modify the modules themselves. I believe that they are pretty fixed.
Definitely possible - Rogue does it.
I own a pair of Hypex Ncore 500 monoblocks and they are mind-blowing good. They drive a pair of 3 way Ryan MCL 3 that also have complex crossovers and aren't the easiest of loads. In my system, they beat quite a few highly regarded amps, some costing 10x, and by a wide margin...

I believe that Rogue uses the cheaper ucd Hypex modules, not the Ncore.
At it's price point, it makes sense.