Looking for ideas - new mono blocks for stereo music

Hello!

I am on a bit of a mission to upgrade my equipment and just recently purchased the Esoteric K-01X SACD player.
In my case, the primary focus for critical listening is stereo music (aka red book CD) from the Esoteric.
My current chain is from the Esoteric through the Marantz 8802A into the Bryston 7B-SST2 powering a pair of JBL 1400 Array speakers.
I am very happy with the JBLs and just upgraded to the K-01X (had the X-03SE before).

Right now I would like to hear some suggestions for new mono blocks. I am already planning on adding the Esoteric C-03X(s) to the system to replace the Marantz as (stereo) pre-amp.

The primary focus is detail and resolution as I really love hearing new aspects of CDs that previous equipment couldn't reveal.
Soundstage and instrument placement are also high on the list. Bass slam / impact is not really a priority since I am stuck in an apartment for the time being.
Another factor is heat - I am looking for an amp, not a space heater. Especially considering the already hot summers in Toronto!
The price ceiling for me is somewhere around $20,000/pair

My current short list consists of:
Grandinote
Pass Labs
Simaudio
Mark Levinson

Now it's time for the brainpool (that's you guys!) to have at it :)

Thanks in advance!
128x128eohtar
Hi eothar,

I am Joining this discussion late, but if your still checking in I would concur with those who say that your issues would lay more with your power delivery. Your amps, 600W@8 ohms, have twice the rated power necessary to run your speakers. Your amps are not being maximized to their fullest potential - they are not getting enough power. If you have 20K to spend look towards Cabling. 

Also your JBLs have a frequency response of 32hz -40khz, you may want to consider adding a pair of subs. I had a pair of speakers with the same frequency response. I adjusted my power cables and added a pair of subs which gave me the desired effect you are looking to achieve.

My suggestion for getting the best value added out of $20K
Start by adding these cables, which would be better than adding  power amp to your system.

Stage 3 Concepts - will open up the soundstage and resolution - provide clean detailed bass and spacial separation you are craving - Think Krakens. 
www.stage3concepts.com

HB Power distributor - Power Slave....
www.hb-cable-design.com

Thales - for the price the best speaker cables you will ever own will add the detail you are seeking
www.tonarm.ch

I looked to REL for my sub Issues. JL makes great products as well - look for ones with at least a 15" drivers to pair with your JBLs. 

What I have realized is that most Speakers that have Frequency responses that run below 21 hz are usually have active subs.
The few that are not are astronomically high priced, except Devore's
Silverbacks - discontinued.

Good Luck

If you get a chance to listen to a pair of Vandersteen mono's I don't think you would be disappointed.They are , to me, very good looking, too.  
@auxinput
Interesting  description of the JC1s interaction with fuses.
Are the amps fully broken in or relatively new ?
This is important as they are totally different beasts after 1500 hrs. break in.
Thanks

Your amps, 600W@8 ohms, have twice the rated power necessary to run your speakers. Your amps are not being maximized to their fullest potential - they are not getting enough power.

I would like to directly challenge this statement, as I have used several extremely high power amps in my system and have never had problems with having an amp that has "too much power".  The fact that the amp has twice the rated power for a speaker should never be considered a negative thing.  In actuality, you want a huge reserve of power supply capacitance because any time the output circuits need to pull in voltage from the power supply in response to an input signal, the actual voltage from the power supply takes a dip.  Even if you can't measure this on a scope as "power supply ripple", it will still affect your sound quality and impact.

I also have 1,000 watt Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks that include a massively huge 240,000uf power supply with a seriously heavy transformer (2.4kVA if I remember right).  With Furutech fuses loaded, these amps are amazingly detailed and nice for the price.  Never had a problem with "too much power for speakers", since I'm driving B&W 805, and they are specified at 120 watts.  In actuality, these speakers sounded better with a beefier larger amp.

NOTE: another disclaimer on Emotiva.  While they are very amazing amps for the money (if you load them with Furutech fuses), they are not the best amps out there.  There is an electrical resonance in the circuits that I can hear that makes the highs a little jangly and thin, as well as some grain in the general sound.  Other amps (JC1, 7b3, etc.) will be much cleaner and more refined sounding, but also significantly more expensive.

----

Finally, if you really read what the OP was doing, you would see that he is in an apartment and doesn't want massive bass.  While the REL subs are awesome (I have heard one), the OP will have more than enough bass with good amps on his JBL 1400.

@rost - I honestly don't know.  I bought them used, but they were only manufactured a year ago.  I do have about 500 hours on them at this point.  I have read that about JC1 amps (requiring 1200-1500 hours) and that was a big concern of mine when I was researching a couple weeks ago.