Best TT under $1k

I’m looking to get into vinyl but don’t really no where to begin. I’ve been doing ample research on what TT to buy but am seeking the opinions of the A-gon community. I’m looking to spend under a grand, $750 if I can get away with it. (new or used)

Some units that I’ve looked at online:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable – $599
Rega Planar 2 Turntable – $675
VPI Cliffwood Turntable – $900
Rega Planar 3 Turntable – $945
Technics SL-1200MK2

Criteria in order of importance:

- Sound quality
- Must include cart
- Excellent build quality
- Upgrade-able. Usable now but can upgrade down the road.
- Easy to setup/ use/ maintain

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
I didn't know that all belt drive were cheap nonsense. I must get rid on my Thorens TD-147 with and 2M black cart. 
I can’t believe how much Rega TT’s cost now. Back in the 80’s the rega 2 was a Dual 505 competitor for £129 and a rega 3 w/rb300 was £288!  I don’t see what they could have done to the decks to justify the current pricing.

Except for their arms, I consider the design of Regas poor. I don't like the resonant MDF plinth, the motor attached directly to it, the plastic sub-platter, the glass platter, or the inability to adjust even arm height. I would much rather have an AR ES-1, which can be picked up for peanuts.

The reason you see the VPI HW-19 recommended so often is because it's an excellent design, is built great (they last forever), and is a superb platform for whatever arm you want to mount on it. A Mk.2 or 3 can be found for less than a Rega, and is imo a far better table.

But turntables seem to be a very personal thing, like loudspeakers. Everyone has to decide what kind of design meets their taste, expectations, and preferences.

A Yamaha PF-800 or PF-1000 is another excellent choice.

I like them so much I have 3. Yes... I will be listing my spare soon (probably this weekend).

They were meant to compete with Linn LP12's when they were produced in the 80's.

Excellent belt drive.

It's Japanese sibling is the direct drive GT2000. One of the best DD ever made. Easy to find Japan...next to impossible anywhere else.