Best TT under $1k

I’m looking to get into vinyl but don’t really no where to begin. I’ve been doing ample research on what TT to buy but am seeking the opinions of the A-gon community. I’m looking to spend under a grand, $750 if I can get away with it. (new or used)

Some units that I’ve looked at online:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable – $599
Rega Planar 2 Turntable – $675
VPI Cliffwood Turntable – $900
Rega Planar 3 Turntable – $945
Technics SL-1200MK2

Criteria in order of importance:

- Sound quality
- Must include cart
- Excellent build quality
- Upgrade-able. Usable now but can upgrade down the road.
- Easy to setup/ use/ maintain

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
A Yamaha PF-800 or PF-1000 is another excellent choice.

I like them so much I have 3. Yes... I will be listing my spare soon (probably this weekend).

They were meant to compete with Linn LP12's when they were produced in the 80's.

Excellent belt drive.

It's Japanese sibling is the direct drive GT2000. One of the best DD ever made. Easy to find Japan...next to impossible anywhere else.
How about a Revox B790 with an Ortofon VMS20 cartridge for $800 + shipping from Switzerland. It is listed on EBAY. DD and an excellent linear-track arm! I have one! A true Hi-End TT!
@audionoobie, All good choices, unfortunately you will never really know how anything will sound until you try it in your home system. My guess is you will be happy with any of the major proven brends.

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'm leaning toward @helomech's suggestion of the Pioneer PLX-1000 with the Audio-Technica VM540ML cartridge.

I know it's not the most important consideration (perhaps not a consideration at all for some folks), but I love the old school look of the mk1200 and the plx-1000 is its successor.

I want to make an immediate purchase and most of the VPI HW-19's available right now seem to have missing parts or need work. There also seems to be a preference for buying vintage. While I love the idea - given my current knowledge of TT's - it doesn't seem practical.

I know the Rega RP6 got several votes, but it is a little out of my price range.

Any other love for the Pioneer?

this Pioneer Pl-61 is an excellent table to start out with. get a new cartridge (a Ortophon 2M blue for around $225) for this and you will be set for for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-PL-61-Record-player-Turntable-beautiful-cabinet-vintage/18342857414...