Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Feedback on 4.5000 upgrade?

Can anyone share some feedback on the 4.5000 upgrade? I recently ordered the upgrade for my 28 year old 4's, and would love to hear anyone's feedback regarding the install, as well as their opinions on the sonic differences.

Thanks, Dave
Butte,

Have not heard X000 series yet but my 100S3s and 5S3s were upgrades from original Walsh 2s I bought back around 1982 or so. X000s are accordidng to JS evolutionary not revolutionary compared to prior series 3.

The series 3 had similar seemingly uncontrained ability to go loud and clear, however the sound quality was siginficantly refined in most every other way to compete with other more modern designs in ways the originals could not. Mostly to do with overall clarity , focus and detail across the board + bigger soundstage and improved imaging. I owned my original Walsh 2s concurrently with my series 3 Walsh 2s when I first acquired them a few years back. The difference in sound was striking at first listen and obvious in direct a/b comparisons I did at the time.

X000 series is again supposedly further refinement upon the same according to JS.
Thanks Mapman, for taking the time to respond. I've been somewhat out of the loop regarding Ohm Walsh speaker model progression. So I must admit that I'm not familiar with models 100S3, or 5S3. I would only guess that those model upgrades are the predecessor to the x.x000 series of upgrades.

I've been so happy with my 4's all these years, that it's only been within the last few years that I have taken up the interest again, in speakers, that is.

About a year ago, or so, I had John design and build me a 3000CC custom center channel. I say custom because it's mounted from the ceiling with the driver being inverted 180°! After trying a couple of different center channel speakers over the past decade, I decided to speak with John and see what he could do for me. I am very pleased with the results.

I listen to a lot of multi-channel music, and for the first time the forward sound stage has a timbre match that is much more seamless (I should have done this long ago)!

So, I'm excited and hopeful, that the 4.5000's will be a very noticeable audible difference.

Dave
As a happy owner of the 2000s and an older pair of MWTs, I would say, expect clearly audible, but subtle differences. Not night and day changes. This is a good thing. Unlike some speaker makers, Ohms continue to be voiced similarly by the original designer, John Strohbeen, and he is good at getting speakers to sound the way he wants them to. So, the Ohm house sound is retained, just refined further in an evolutionary way.
Thanks Bondmanp. I guess I'm just expecting to hear a bit more detail in the mid thru high range frequencies. I still love the Ohm Walsh sound. The imagery is wonderful. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to having to remove the old binding post/control board, though. Taking a hammer, of sorts, to my beautiful speakers will be a bit disconcerting!

Dave