Why Does All Music Sound the Same; An Explanation

Since the topic of music production, mastering, and the Loudness Wars comes up frequently on the forum, here's a good tour through the process.
(It's a few years old but still very relevant).

https://medium.com/cuepoint/why-do-all-records-sound-the-same-830ba863203

128x128lowrider57
Quite a range of comments in this discussion.  I would just note that many of those objecting to the sound of modern pop music sound remarkably like their parents did in the 1950s and 60s--many of the complaints are in fact virtually identical ( too simple, too repetitive, no talent, bad lyrics, bad sound, all sounds the same, all about marketing, etc.).  Fortunately, we didn't listen to them then, just as our kids don't listen to them now.

Fortunately, these days there is a world of music available at your fingertips.  So, if you don't like something, just listen to something else.
I don't agree with the statement in this post; I suggest a listen to a recent CD, Dave Alvin And Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Downey To Lubbock.  Nothing about it, songs, singing, playing, depth, clarity, cleanliness, makes it sound anything less than spectacular.  To me.  On my small system (Lyric Ti 140 integrated, Luxman D-05u CD player, Von Schweikert UniField 3 Mk2 speakers) its stunning.  One the big one it is too.  

Seeing them in concert tomorrow evening, am so eager.
I was expecting somebody to mention the generation gap in music. "In my day, etc"...lol.
There were always cookie-cutter songs with the same hook played on top 40 radio and the like. The record labels were thriving and all that mattered was to get radio play and have their songs on the Billboard charts, resulting in sales.
Today there are so many outlets for music to be heard. Bands can even produce their own music, play it on the internet/YouTube and create buzz. Record labels are hurting financially and have resulted to tactics whereby to make a song a hit, the same writers and producers are hired to use their formula on multiple artists to sell their product.

Similar to the "old days" where there was also a formula used to produce hit songs, but now the control and manipulation seems tighter before a track is released. Focus groups are even used to decide which will get airplay.

And thanks to the internet and streaming, more music of different genres is available. There is so much variety, we're not stuck listening to the "same sounding music" which is targeted at a certain demographic.