Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Interesting Tom, thanks.  I thought it might be MDF.

It made me wonder what a "baffle" mod might look like.  What comes to mind (for someone like he who has never designed a speaker and hence is naive bout it), is simply re-enforcing the existing MDF baffle from within the speaker, by attaching a solid aluminum plate to the inner face of the baffle (cut out in the shape of the baffle).  Just to re-enforce stiffness.

I have no idea how implausible this is, or if adding any thickness to the interior of the baffle would alter other parameters (cavity volume?) that could throw things off sonically.  
There are multiple brace shelves stacked in the speaker. I will find resonant areas such as between woofer and passive on the 2.2 and devise a brace. I am also getting promising results soaking the driver mount areas with a wood hardener. My super charged idea is to add a hard spine up the back of the cabinet and connect all magnet assemblies to the spine with rods for combined cooling and anti-recoil effects. An aluminum plate seems unfeasible, or at least I haven't gotten any ideas.

@prof,I’d be interested in what is the best way to brace a cabinet as well. I believe Merlin embedded some metal bars in the baffle for this purpose. I’d think something that was deeper than it was wide would be more effective at combatting cabinet wall flex. I also wondered about ceramic or porcelain floor tiles. They’re incredibly stiff and strong (and cheap). Would something like that attached to the inside of an MDF cabinet be better than aluminum?

Among the materials I have developed / tested are: fired ceramic panels, fiber reinforced hydrostone panels and/or corner braces, aluminum bars or channels, solid wood struts and, of course, the pierced MDF shelves in all Thiel cabinets. One thing that might not be readily apparent is that driving resonances higher in frequency is of great benefit. Heavy materials may be very stiff, but their mass pulls the cabinet modes lower where there is far more energy to activate them and the results are more harmfully audible. Also, damping materials spread resonances over broader ranges and make them last longer in time, becoming more audible. Each method carries its baggage.

Note that extremely expensive speakers spend lots of money on vibration control.
Yes, front baffle of the CS2.4 is 3” MDF. Don’t know about the 2.7, but imagine it is the same. Was that model ever reviewed?