A Tribute to the Sequerra MET 7

I've been preaching the virtues of this speaker for years. I bought my pair around 2001 here on Agon... they were already a few years old. I think I have the Mk 2. I replaced some Vandersteen 2Ces...but man I didn't look back!

They are small, extremely dynamic and have amazing imaging. The tone is wonderful if the range is somewhat limited (as many monitors are). I have often gone to audio stores and listened to monitors many times their price. Almost without exception i end up thinking that they just don't sound as good as my Sequerras. I suspect that these are one of the great secrets of high end audio.

I've been waiting for years for someone to send me a tear filled email saying "thank god that I listened to you...I bought a pair and my life is now fulfilled." But I think they are just too unknown to really draw people unless they know Dick Sequerra himself. Also, you can't find them at stores...I think Dick only does factory direct sales. Oh well.

But truly. I now have a speaker that is 5x as expensive and 10x as large. I just hooked up my old Sequerras again and I'm still stunned with them. They are simply beautiful to listen to and I'm so glad that I never sold them.

Ok, I guess I need to end on a question...Has anyone compared the newer versions of the speaker (MK vi or the earlier versions like my Mk II? I believe that the later versions are slightly larger. I wondered if they retain all of their magic. I know Dick stills sells them direct for a pittance.
issabre
The Met-7 MKIIs do nothing extraordinarily well, and nothing extraordinarily poorly. What they are, is extraordinarily balanced, conveying the heart and soul of music in a very non-audiophile way. I bought a pair in 1989, and still have them, 20 years on. Along with the TC-50 and LS3/5A, the Met 7s deserve a well-earned place on the all-time classic budget speaker list.

Issabre, the MkIIs came with a rectangular foam grill; no surround or hardware needed, it's a simple press fit. Dick still sells the grills (after 18 years, I finally got a new pair from him, as the old ones were getting pretty funky), or you could simply find some nice open-cell foam and cut your own to fit. Helps keep the dust and such away from the drivers when you're not listening to them.
Here it is almost 2012 and I'm still listening to my Met 7, 8, 9, and 8 speaker line stage set up.

Amps and pre amps and turntables and cartridges and DACs get up grades...and thes tall, ugly speakers sound more and more like real music with every new/better input they get.

Sounds like real people with chests and real instruments.

I'd love to talk with someone else who has a full set up. I run mine with atma sphere MP1 and M 60.
While I do not have the ribbons, I have the subs and the line stages. I love them too. I was unhappy with the met 7's alone, strongly preferring other mini's. But coupling them with the 8's and the sticks/ribbons is a whole different ball game.
I think the thing about these speakers that knocks my socks off is they DON'T knock my socks off. They just show you what your source is doing. Very much like my Tab's did...if in a different flavor.
I loved my Tablettes.
Heard vandersteens that were nice.
The old Energy line, B&W 802, 801 and the harbeth ls35a setups with a Nait made sweet music too.

But none of these were invisible like the Sequerras.

The thing that really does stand out about Dicks speakers is how DYNAMIC they are at low volumes.
Few people listen at high levels, where most speakers are able to convey a dynamic message. These do it at a whisper. I have never heard another speaker at any price that could be dynamic at such low volumes.
I have the new version. They are amazing. Different than the originals. I also run Monitor Audio RX2 and MHI Eveidence. the new Mets are th eclear winner!
I have the full set Met 7 Mk2, Met 8, Met 9 Mk2, Met 10/8 and think they are great too. I have heard a lot of the real kilobuck systems at shows and still think the Sequerras hold their own. Need some room for them to shine. I am considering moving on because I have a small room but love the full range and great dynamics.