Seller is responsible to get item to you, intact. yes? or no?

Is the seller responsible for packing and shipping? or not? Should the seller insist on a safe form of shipping? (and if the seller does insist, can he make the buyer pay for air, or 2-day?) or can the buyer say ship cheap (even though the seller eats the shipping fail?) ((And DOES the buyer eat the broken equipment cost?))                  
Who should be worried about insurance... the buyer? or the seller? Since it it is lost or broken, the buyer can get his/her money back. (usually)  
My 'take' is that the person AT RISK for loss is the SELLER. And the SELLER should certainly be needing the insurance. (Notice the seller is the person who has to collect insurance, NOT the buyer)... So IMO the Seller should be including the cost of insurance IN THE ASKING PRICE. Since the seller is the one 'needing' the insurance.                   
The other side is why should the buyer PAY for insurance when the seller is the one being protected by insurance?            
I have asked this before long ago, and the main answer seems to be FURY on the part of (mainly) sellers claiming they have no part in any shipping fail, that they say it is 100% on the buyer. (to which I just laugh)Where I would say the shipping packing, and burden of surety is 100% on the seller/person shipping.So what's your thoughts on it today...(like I said, I asked this years ago, and got a LOT of flack for even claiming the seller is the bad guy, and is responsible 100% of the time for the insurance and proper packing and insurance against loss.) So I thought it was a pertinent question. and wonder what all you folks think, today?

elizabeth

I've always posted giving a fair price that does not included the shipping or insurance. I always state i will not ship with out proper declaration of price or adequate insurance at buyers expense. I do this to cover both our asses if something happens during shipping. I also do not include any of the above in the price so to not inflate the price for a local buyer who may wish to pick it up. I always use Canada Post - US postal service at the express package level. I do this because like some one said above it requires an adult signature at the delivery point and it usually goes through customs easier-fast. I also have had better luck with the national postal services then the UPS- FedEx's but your mileage may vary here. I also always give the buyer my full name and address for return if something is amiss. Any deviation from this and I state its at the buyers risk for loss or damage (like i'm not going to get fussy on a $20 item but over $100 and i'm wanting insurance). Like others have said its not a done deal until the buyer has the item and is happy its arrived as the state it was agreed on. Always take the return unless agreed prior to the sale. Oh i don't accept PayPal as a form of payment as well i'm not comfortable with another institution having access to my banking. One last thing I never sell unless I have spoken to the buyer by phone as well as email much less issues that way.

I'm honest with condition when I sell and over pack every item. I think most of us are hobbyist and really like to share our hobby and discus our hobby I've met some wonderful audiophiles during the buying-selling process. These are the ones I prefer to sell to people like myself who love the music and hobby not the resellers and people looking to make a buck. If your honest from the start then if shipping issues do arise its easier to come to a solution that satisfies both parties. 

Note i have used my local UPS store for packing and I find they pack very well here so not all UPS stores are below standard. And bubble wrap is your friend if done right.

I sold a bunch of equipment this year, including a turntable and a big-arsed pair of Thiel 3.7 speakers.

It seemed to be to be a sort of joint-responsibility, depending on how the sale is done.  For the speakers, my add said buyer responsible for shipping.  Now...if the buyer decides to cheap out on a form of shipping with higher risk...is that really my fault?  

In this case, I supplied all the information I could to the buyer as to the best shipping practices to increase the likelihood of safe shipping.  I went to the speaker manufacturer to ask how they ship, and recommended that to the buyer (who chose that method - i.e. pallet shipping, and strapped on the way suggested by the company).

I took care of my end of the bargain.  As per usual, payment was made first.  Now they were his speakers.

I meticulously documented with photos the condition of the speakers before packing, and documented every step of packing for each speaker, showing now safely they had been packed, no damage occurring on my end.   And sent those to the buyer.    It was now up to him to arrange the shipping.  Again, given I had done absolutely everything I could, and shipping choice was up to him, it seemed to me (and to the buyer) that I did my duty, now he does his.

Everything went great, fortunately.

As for the turntable, I wasn't going to ship that thing, so it was local sale only.  That really helps.  My pal who has sold many more items, including turntables, advised me on how he does things.  As he put it, the last time a guy came over to pay for and pick up a turntable, the buyer wanted to see the turntable of course to inspect it (not just encounter it all packed up).  Once inspected, my pal suggested if it looked fine, time to pay.  Once the money had changed hands, my pal said:  "So, would you like some help packing and carrying YOUR turntable?"

;-)

I took that approach when I sold my turntable.  It's good to have clear boundaries and agreement.  
In response to gbryant, UPS's policy is that any package must be packed to survive a 2 1/2 foot fall onto concrete.  You obviously know why. 
As a seller I perssonally take responsibility for packaging items properly to survive shipping. All electronics are double boxed. Unit is first wrapped in bubble wrap. The first box will have a layer of 1.5" upholstery foam on the bottom. The bubble wrapped unit is placed in the box. Then more foam is fitted all the way around and on top of the unit. Any remaining voids will be filled with packing paper. I like for the second box to have at least 2" of room all the way around the first. Enough for a layer of 1.5" foam all around, and some packing paper to fill any gaps.. This is good for units up to around 50 lbs. I would increase the padding as units get heavier. Heavy duty cardboard is used for boxes! I have never had an issue with shipping damage with this method.