DAC's : The missing feature: Signal quality

One thing I wish DAC's would provide is some idea of how much jitter and noise a particular input provides. This is something which I think with a little work could be gleaned from the input circuits.

I want something that tells me "woah, that's a really dirty signal coming in, but i"ll do the best I can with it."

One common source of noise is ground loops. Another may be high jitter from a source like Apple TV. This would also help us evaluate the benefits (if any) of various signal cleaners and reclockers.

Best,
E
erik_squires
Jitter below 1 nanosecond is inaudible and not a problem with any of today's CD players/DACs. Regardless of what the "golden ear" crowd claims! And asynchronous DACs (with their re-clocking of the input signal) eliminate jitter (uncertainty of the bit-timing) entirely! Let the rock throwing begin!
Even the first-generation CD players had jitter levels below 1 nanosecond! What they didn't have (in the first year or two) was full 16-bit capability. Typically 14-15 bits, due to DAC-chip (ladder-type) architecture. This only reduced noise-floor and dynamic range by about 10db! Still far better than any tape/vinyl playback! L-R separation for stereo imaging was unaffected - again far better than any tape/vinyl system! Ditto for harmonic/IM distortion! 
If you are going to interject your own agenda without actually addressing the original post it is considered polite to start your own thread.
The reason this is not common as it’s not really needed. It’s cool for curiosity or scientific purposes (instead of having to buy an analyzation tool/software), but no real benefit for consumers. As doing a J-Test (extreme jitter, more than you’d likely ever have), even cheap DACs can reduce down to at least -100dBFS, better than the noise floor of a CD, and since almost no content is gonna have sounds meant to be heard below say 40dB, even a cheap DAC would have no jitter when playing 40dB to 140dB.