Cover songs that are better than the originals.

There is an active thread about terrible cover songs so I thought I'd start one about cover songs that are better than or have completely eclipsed the originals. I'll start:

Randy Newman wrote Momma Told Me Not to Come for Eric Burdon who recored it with the Animals and Newman recorded it too. I have the Newman version and like it but Three Dog Night really seem to capture the mood of the song best in my opinion.
n80
Cyndi Lauper's rendition of Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On and Tom Jones remake of Prince's Kiss.
I am not fond of country music, but for some reason, I found in my collection an album by Roy Clark.  On it is the song, Yesterday, When I was Young.  I have listened to it over and over...and subsequently the other songs on the album.  I am thinking this is a remake but maybe not.  Anyway, I want to put in a vote for it.  Fantastic!!!
Tom Waits; a long list of course but here’s a couple.
Temptation; by Diana Krall
Invitation to the Blues; by Jennifer Warnes
And a whole album of Waits covers by Holly Cole: Temptation.  My favorite track is The Briar and the Rose.
BTW...to the Zappa enthusiasts...did anyone ever read his book, "The Real Frank Zappa Book?"  I laughed so hard...one of the best books I have ever read.  
@awhittington : I have owned (GW $3!) and read "The Real Frank Zappa". Excellent!