Speakers in 10-15K price range for Classical music

Well I am in the market for speakers. My music choice is primarily classical and then a little bit of everything else such as jazz and soft/alternate rock. I started with a budget of 5-7K and auditioned Maggie 3.6, Quad 989, Spendor S8e and so on, but quickly realized I couldn’t get what I was looking for in these speakers. They all did pretty well on solo or few instruments but could not nearly reproduce a symphony (Mahler’s fifth, or Tchaikovsky’s sixth or Schubert’s ninth) with any authenticity. This was about a year ago. Since then I had stretched my budget and am now looking for speakers in the 10-15K price range.

Now here’s the challenge. I didn’t like the Thiel, B&W or Wilson sound. I had liked Maggie 20.1 in the past, but can’t find any dealer nearby that carries them for an audition. Heard the Vandersteen 5a for about 10 mins and they are pretty convincing, but I need a proper audition and then it’s still beyond my price range. Now my question is what other speakers I can look at for the kind of music I like?

Thanks much in advance, for your help.

Oh, my system is Krell SACD and 400xi Integrated Amp. Will upgrade the amp eventually, but will need to wait for another year at least :)
neal1502
The Harbeth 40.1 is a pretty poorly designed speaker IMO and for 12K I would run not walk .....

Regards,
With all due respect to Pdreher and nolitan , I"m sure it will sounds good on classical to some as is the case with most speakers.

Regardless I still stand by my original statement of it being a poorly designed speaker for 12K and with an eff: rating of 84db/1w/1m you are going to need a sizable amplifier also.

regards ,
Weseixas - my 40.1's are easily driven with a moderately powered tube amp (McIntosh MC275). Rather than criticizing others suggestions on a speaker you don't have legitimate knowledge on, why don't you come up with some recommendations for the OP.

Hello Pdreher,

I would like to use this moment to apologize for my initial response but with no edit feature, alas...

What are you disputing, the sterophile article? I posted links to those who are so inclined and gave my opinion as asked by the OP.

The spendors are 84db/1w/m that is considered low efficiency, that in itself does not make it a bad speaker, but since the OP intends to drive the speaker with an Integrated Krell will he have enuff power for reasonable dynamics, seems that way if he does not exceed a nominal listening level of 84-86 db ...

Frankly and based on the OP's comments on the speakers he has already auditioned and discounted, tells me has already moved beyond the spendors.

Maggies 20.1/3.6 and the quad 989 are already ahead of the spendors, So i would suggest a re-listen to the quad's, try and do so with subs, a very different speaker with subs IMO, very formidable with subs...

regards,