Anyone with technical knowledge RE: ADS L1290

Hi,

I was fortunate to purchase an almost new pair of ADS L1290 speakers.

Unfortunately one of the tweeters is not functioning. I found the owners manual In the "offical" manual it states that the speakers have fuses for both the midrange and tweeter speakers.

In an addendum entitled "Dear ADS L1290 Owners", it states that "An advanced solid state tweeter protector, located inside the speaker, replaces the tweeter fuse". "This protector interrupts the signal to the tweeter only when overload occurs, then automatically restores proper operation after the signal level is reduced." Signed Dick Moore, Technical Assistant to the President"

Please post if you think if this issue can be repaired or if this tweeter should be replaced.
tsand
I would pull the tweeter out and see if it works by itself. If it does, the problem is elsewhere.
First off, you have the series 2 speakers. The series 1 did not have the internal fuses.
Try swapping the tweeter with the other speaker's tweeter. The problem may be in the crossover circuit board, but could be in the tweeter. If you find the tweeter is indeed bad, you can get it fixed by contacting Richard So at ads_speakers@yahoo.com. He can fix yours or sell you a new one. Good guy to deal with.
Lastly, you have a great speaker. I have both the 1290/2 and 1590/2 and wouldn't part with them for anything!
Hello Sid42

Since I am not much of a speaker tech, and interested in following this advice, can you or anyone tell me or direct me to any written procedure to remove the tweeters?

I will assume that I would remove the screws and pull the tweeter forward, out. Do the internal tweeter wires need to be cut or is there a blade connector of some type? If no connect exists and wires must be cut, what is the best way to reconnect?

Also, before removing, would it make any sense to use a VOM to test continuity from the speaker terminals to the tweeter?

I really appreciate everyones assistance.
The tweeters are easy to remove, and you are right you do have to remove the screws. Be VERY careful when removing NOT to tear up the gasket behind the speaker. Also, pry it off witha knife blade or small scredriver, but put something on the wood where you are prying so as not to damage the wood surface. Tweeter/midrange aren't bad, woofers are tougher.
Once removed, there are plug-in connections, so you do not have to cut wires.
I'm not too electrically minded, so I don't know if continuity is what you need to do. Myself, as I said earlier, I would just swap the tweeter on your other speaker.
Let me know what you find out as to the cause of your problem.
Alan
In thinking about your problem, look on the back or bottom of the speaker and verify you do indeed have the series 2 model. It will say "1290/2". If it is the series 1, you do have fuses, and your fix may be as simple as replacing a fuse.