Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues

I know I am, and believe most class D amp proponents on this thread are, very open minded toward further potential advancements such as the newer GaN FETs, improvements in the filters used to remove the carrier frequency prior to amplification and even the as of yet unproven benefit of MHz-plus signal carrier frequencies.

With the extremely high quality performance levels of such a large number of class D amps using just currently available technology, significant future improvements in class D amp performance levels is difficult for me to imagine. I honestly cannot identify any aspect of my good quality D-Sonic M3-600-M class D amps’ performance that I would characterize as deficient.

As an experienced user and proponent of good class D amplification, I have no choice but to consider claims of class D harshness and sonic anomalies in the midrange and treble as illegitimate, view those claiming such with great skepticism and suspect them of having ulterior motives.

I state this based on my own experiences using multiple class D amps in my system for about 4 yrs, the complete lack of evidence that current signal carrier frequencies in the 400-600 KHz range affect frequencies in the audible range, anecdotal claims of class D upper frequency harshness being based on early class D amps and very rarely on the newer good quality amps and my complete inability to detect any sonic anomalies or upper frequency harshness. If you can’t perceive any sonic issues then you have no sonic issues, right?

To be fair and empathetic to those who honestly hear sonic anomalies in good quality class D amps that I and many others have never detected, perhaps future research will discover that these anomalies do actually exist but only some individuals are able to detect them.

If this is the case, that is an affliction that I wouldn’t wish on georgehifi, because listening to music through good class D amps is really quite spectacular when you’re not afflicted with this horrific condition.

Just really bad dumb luck. I hope the GaN FETs and/or higher switching frequencies will eliminate or at least ease the suffering of all those afflicted with this horrendous and inhumane potential explanatory condition.

Best wishes,
Tim

I state this based on my own experiences using multiple class D amps in my system for about 4 yrs, the complete lack of evidence that current signal carrier frequencies in the 400-600 KHz range affect frequencies in the audible range, anecdotal claims of class D upper frequency harshness being based on early class D amps and very rarely on the newer good quality amps and my complete inability to detect any sonic anomalies or upper frequency harshness. If you can’t perceive any sonic issues then you have no sonic issues, right?

Exactly. We can debate switching speeds forever, but the fact remains: No one has ever said to me "Geesh, those amps, they're awful, I can hear the switching."

No one has EVER been able to tell whether my amps were linear or Class D unless told they were in advance.

Best,
E

You guys are banging on about amplifiers that are costing thousands of dollars go and listen to a Nord class D amp with the new REV D buffer boards, you can choose which op amps you require depending on how you want the sound its called op amp rolling i believe, when you hear them you will forget about whats inside you will just enjoy your music like never before.
I have heard many multi thousand pounds amps from most of the top company's and the Nords sound as good as any and better than most at a fraction of the price
Do yourselves a favour go to the Nord Acoustic website and read about the sound of the different op amps choices and choose which op amp will suit you. You even buy all the op amps they are so easy to change they just plug into the buffer boards,
Nords very best amps including the price of all the op amps is around 2000 GBP they are the best amps i have ever heard regardless of price or what components are used inside. 
select,

I live in USA and still have come bery close to buying Colins amps, though not able to make up my mind between the N series II or his ice amp, which he only sells as a stereo amp

Doing a ton of research, PS Audios M700s monos (using ice modules) have gotten fantastic reviews. As far as I can tell, unlike Colin’s, they have an input buffer stage, which not only should make them more flexible impedance matches,they are said to improve on the ice sound

Of course that’s speculative unless both are listened to side by side

M700s MSRP is $2995 the pair!
From what I have heard, skip the ICE Module amps.... They are the harsh  ones on the upper frequencies.