The invention of measurements and perception

This is going to be pretty airy-fairy. Sorry.

Let’s talk about how measurements get invented, and how this limits us.

One of the great works of engineering, science, and data is finding signals in the noise. What matters? Why? How much?

My background is in computer science, and a little in electrical engineering. So the question of what to measure to make systems (audio and computer) "better" is always on my mind.

What’s often missing in measurements is "pleasure" or "satisfaction."

I believe in math. I believe in statistics, but I also understand the limitations. That is, we can measure an attribute, like "interrupts per second" or "inflamatory markers" or Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N)

However, measuring them, and understanding outcome and desirability are VERY different. Those companies who can do this excel at creating business value. For instance, like it or not, Bose and Harman excel (in their own ways) at finding this out. What some one will pay for, vs. how low a distortion figure is measured is VERY different.

What is my point?

Specs are good, I like specs, I like measurements, and they keep makers from cheating (more or less) but there must be a link between measurements and listener preferences before we can attribute desirability, listener preference, or economic viability.

What is that link? That link is you. That link is you listening in a chair, free of ideas like price, reviews or buzz. That link is you listening for no one but yourself and buying what you want to listen to the most.

E
erik_squires
Yup. That’s what pays the bills. But I’m considering nonsense as a career now too, just like you. Does it pay well? You are very good at it!  You must rake in the dough!

I guess this is what old men do to still show themselves relevant (no fault of the OP, the topic was legitimate). The proof on this forum is staggering. Topics that have been covered and documented in the 70's make their way back into discussion as if it is something new.

I don't know about other readers here, but I recall learning about the color of frequencies two fold back in my photography and music theory classes. I question if some of these guys ever went to school, or even now with so many of them being Wiki-fied grads how they can turn these threads into two sided spin cycles for the sake of the spin only. I highly doubt anyone from outside these pages are interested in the intellect of the Agon aged. It is good entertainment on a lazy afternoon to cure boredom as Glupson would say, but really only a sign that these guys aren't listening to music as their main hobby.

Agon forum lifers, an interesting bunch of folks indeed.

Whoa, Nellie Belle, the philosophy is at a very deep level today. Is it a full moon? Gonna have to grab me some hip waders.