Do I have to use a streamer/renderer to play music from an NAS?

I apologize for the basic question. But, I can’t seem to find an answer online. I would like to put all my CDs on an NAS and play that music through my system. I have a Rotel RC/RB-1590 set up. I know some NAS boxes come with DLNA software installed, and I am looking at Synology because I read their software for finding and selecting music to play is pretty good. Eventually, I will probably end up with something like a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N to stream tidal and digital radio, as well as the music on the NAS. But, do I have to have the Cambridge or some other device to just play the digital music from the NAS to start? I would like to do the purchases in steps so I can get better units as I can afford them.  Also, any advice on alternative solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kumakahn
If you want world class sound, keep any pc/Mac/music server out of the room. Put your server in another room and get a good dac with a network card in it. 
Also, you don’t need a music server/renderer to get music off a nas. If you have a good dac with a network card, use a Mac mini running Roon from another room. Roon’s Interface and SQ is so superior to other mentioned above. IMO the next best would be auralic’s DS Lightning interface.
Any good quality 1G switch will work. I have never had a switch deliver invalid data. If you can hear a difference between switches, the routers, wall plates, Ethernet ports from each device would be called into question.
I actually had a vendor tell me that they only used a specific hard drive because they could hear a difference. When I told him I worked for Seagate that made the hard drive he was using he backed off since disk drives change constantly and the drive he was buying today might be different from what he buys tomorrow.
I've had Steve/Empirical's Interchange here for the last week or two. I haven't had a chance to critically A/B test it against my other streamer, but it's definitely sounding outstanding. Coming from Roon, the Lumin Kazoo software is just barely tolerable, but it is probably about as good as anything else I've used, and it does run on iOS as well as Mac desktop/laptop, and that's important to me. I'm also using it to try out Qobuz and have that working, streaming hi-rez files is pretty damn nifty. I like the idea that it's made by one guy with extreme attention to detail. That's how the rest of my system is configured. Anyway, I hope that's helpful. DM if you have any questions about it. 
I should add that I keep my music on an Intel NUC running Linux/Minimserver/BubbleUPNP, and I have exactly the switch/isolator/cable setup Steve describes up there ^^^. That cost a few bucks, but it sounds real nice. 
You have the basics above. I’ll just add a few comments.
First, think about the tasks - you need something to catalog and let you browse and select a file to play. Someone mentioned ROON, and i think that happens to be the pick of the streamer litter. Next, you need to get it to the room your stereo(s) is (are) in. This is any old ethernet network - not Wifi preferably (although it may work). Next you need to terminate the ethernet, convert it to either USB or SPDIF and provide that to your DAC which may be in a receiver or may be stand-alone. There are bunches of these, one by ALLO based on Raspberry Pi is excellent for the money.

Note that the digital signal DOES impact sound a lot, for good reasons, mostly 1) jitter and 2) noise, which causes 1) (jitter). Its HUGELY important. I was shocked.

Consider both what you need to get ot to play today, but also what you want for the future. I want a single server with a great interface for all my music, radio, streaming subscriptions etc. This will be ROON on a dedicated server (NUC/ROCK/custom linear supply). AS long as i can make that electrically and mechanically quiet i do plan to have that as part of my main system and drive my DAC via USB directly (well, galvanically isolated, but that’s about the noise bit).

Commercial streamers like SONOS and Bluesound simply combine some of these functions in the head-end and others int he remotes. SONOS, by the way, sounds awful in the context of true high-end. I was also shocked when i first heard that in a very good system. Switching ti CD was a relief.

I need to look up audioengr’s roll-you-r-own components to see what its about. I don’t think i’d give up ROON though.
G
I run a  Synology NAS that I keep on the first floor on my wired network running CAT7 cables and through a few gig switches. I have two stereo systems the main uses a PS Audio Directstream and one a Perdfectwave DAC, both connected to the network. All the computers on the network have JRiver installed as well as a tablet so I can control from anywhere. The software seems to work well (Windows based computers) and the SQ on either system is more than acceptable. Have not fiddled with ethernet cables outside of upgrading from CAT5's as I feel it is just data at that point and not sure how different cable would make the data better.
My  $.02