High resolution digital is dead. The best DAC's killed it.

Something that came as a surprise to me is how good DAC's have gotten over the past 5-10 years.

Before then, there was a consistent, marked improvement going from Redbook (44.1/16) to 96/24 or higher.

The modern DAC, the best of them, no longer do this. The Redbook playback is so good high resolution is almost not needed. Anyone else notice this?
erik_squires
You are mixing up reverse channels on SP 8 and 10.  SP 11 and Ref 3 and 5 have reverse polarity.  I owned an SP 14, nope.  
Even if polarity mattered, and I'm on camp no, then what type of gear we need gets complicated.
Most multi-way speakers have 1 or more inverted drivers. A typical 2-way box speaker inverts the tweeter relative to the woofer (but not always).

Things get even more random with 3 or more way crossovers.
So really the only way to have a kind of decent view is to use headphones, single driver speakers, or polarity coincident multi-way speakers, such as the old Thiels, Vandersteens, etc. which have not captured an overwhelming mind share.
I had a Calyx Femto DAC (now sold) that had a phase option with "inverse." I never used it. It was an excellent DAC, but I sold it and bought my current DAC, T + A DAC 8 DSD. It has many options for PCM or DSD with multiple filters and settings. I bought it because it was capable of converting everything to DSD @ 48/512. That's how I listen to all my music with Signalyst HQ Player. I must say I have no experience with most of the DAC's you all speak of. I've only owned 4 all together. As far as I'm concerned this T + A will be the end game for me. I love what I'm hearing and that's my story.
fleschler
You are mixing up reverse channels on SP 8 and 10. SP 11 and Ref 3 and 5 have reverse polarity.
Good catch - you're absolutely right! I stand corrected. Thanks for setting the record straight.
"Even two sides of an LP could be different (1 side correct, 1 side wrong)."
There is a major conspiracy going on in the world. People have been going out of their way to mess up polarity of the recordings. For decades and all around the world.